Richard-S is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Question Need multiple computers using an update form to update table and other form(s) close to real-time

I am trying to set up an auction site in Access 2010. The database has a table (no backend db) with item name, bid amount and bidder number. The form allows the bidder to enter a bidder number from a listbox and a bid that is higher than the current bid. The database is on a network computer and other computers can use the same form via the network. When someone updates the main computer bid, the bid updates the table immediately (Me.Requery). But, the update flows to other computer's forms slowly. The other computers, using the same form, work the same way, EXCEPT it takes from 20 to 54 seconds to update the table and other computer's forms. There seems to be an automatic update process that updates the textbox data in other compter's forms that is working very slowly.

I have also tried a separate "computer" using VirtualBox on the main Win10 computer with slow results. I thought it would be instant since the VB is on the main computer that does instant updates, but it is almost as slow as a separate networked computer.

My question: Is there an Access solution that can cause the input to flow faster to the table and on to other computer form's textboxes that currently show old data for many seconds before updating? The process works fine, it is just slow and I have no idea why.

Thanks,

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    This is a multi-user database - have you implemented a split database, with the tables in one central location on the network (back end), and the forms, queries, etc in a separate file (front end)? A copy of the front end is on each user's computer.

If you don't have a split database, i.e. all your users are accessing the same network copy, that may very well be the source of your problem. A multi-user database that is not split is almost guaranteed to cause problems eventually.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    A multi user Access database requires a split into 2 files; front & back. The front is copied multiple times and they all link to the single common back end file. This assumes they are all on the same LAN. This is the only acceptable installation method.

In a screen/form: the data is called in when it opens. To automatically force a refresh - use the timer property of the form.

Thanks for the timer idea. I am going to try that and see if a timer setting will send data faster. My problem with a split database is Access Runtime 2013 does not work on shared computers, at least how I have a network setup. With a split database, the runtime starts but does not open the form. If I have the tables in the same database as the form, the form pops up and everything works. So I'm trying to keep with a semi-working model until the refresh gets worked out.

John_G is offline VIP
    Access Runtime 2013 does not work on shared computers...
    What do you mean by "shared computers" in this context? The runtime has to be installed on each individual computer, not a network computer.

If you are installing it on individual computers, what is the problem you are having? There's no reason it shouldn't run.

I have Access Runtime on different 2 computers that do not have Access. The network computer has Access. The problem is Runtime does not find(?) the backend linked tables. The message is: "'C:\Users\shere\Desktop\AuctionSilentautoexecBF_b e.accdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides." Then I have to stop the Macro and Runtime stops. If I bring the linked tables into the frontend database, Runtime works fine. The split database works fine in regular Access. It seems very odd that linked tables cannot be found using Access Runtime. At this point, I think it might be better to get the trial version of Office to do further testing and better see what I might be doing wrong. Very challenging

Also found that my delay problem was a timing issue caused by the client setting under options for refresh. Resetting the refresh option from 60 to 2(seconds) caused the main computer form's input change to be reflected in other, networked computers from about 30 seconds to about 4 seconds.

I appreciate the insights and ideas.

John_G is offline VIP
    The message is: "'C:\Users\shere\Desktop\AuctionSilentautoexec BF_b e.accdb' is not a valid path.
    That message suggests the path setting for the linked tables is wrong. Open the version you created that .accde runtime version from, go to External Data - Linked table manager, and see where it thinks the linked tables are. You might have to relink the tables to the network location and re-create the runtime .accde file.

John_G
    That was amazing. I had no idea relinking would be that easy. Now I have working linked files. Thanks for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.