frsacan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Multiple value field in subreport

Hi, I am designing a reporting tool for my company on Access 2010 and everything has been going great so far. All my forms and tables work properly. However, today I have started designing the report itself. In one of my subreports, I have a multi value field, but instead of displaying all the values present in one entry, it shows up multiple reports for each different value that field may have. For instance example, if my report was supposed to show ID = 1 MultiValue = 1, 2 instead it shows ID = 1 MultiValue =1, ID = 1, Multi-Value = 2.

I don't have any problems with Multi-Value fields in the parent report, they all show only once.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have a lot of work ahead of you. No experienced programmer that I know of used Multi-value fields (MFV).

Here are some sites I found searching for MFV in reports:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5556c80?auth=1
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ds-a-good-idea
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07...atypes_access/

You might be able to write a UDF to concatenate the MFV values in a query, then use that query as the sub report record source. As I said, a lot of work.

Good luck with your project.........

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree with ssanfu, you are going to be working against yourself to make relational sense out of MVFs. Take another look at the issue before you and see if adding another table (or 2) won't remove the need (and hassle) of MVF. You will have some redesign to do, bit you will save time.
    MVFs are an M$oft Access ""enhancement"" for beginners -- or at least that seems to be the marketing pitch. But developers wouldn't use them. They are specific to Access and do not move if you do go to a SqlServer, Oracle etc environment.

This is part of the marketing
    You might wonder why Office Access 2007 allows you to store more than one value in a field, when most relational database management systems forbid this. The answer is that the database engine in Office Access 2007 doesn't actually store the values in a single field. Even though what you see and work with appears to be a single field, the values are actually stored independently and managed in hidden, system tables. The Access database engine handles this for you, automatically separating the data and bringing it back together again to surface the values in one field.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.