masoud_sedighy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

book or article that explain how to use sql server as a backend and ms access as a front end

I am looking for a book or article that explain how to use sql server as a backend and ms access as a front end. I remember before in ms access 2003/2007 there was ms access project (ADP) but i do not know where are they and how to use them, please help.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    There may not be one since they are two different animals.
    you need an SQL manager to run that end. It's very complicated.
    An access expert to design the FE. Access only needs the path to the tables to work.

Abacus1234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Question about technology for today and tomorrow. I have an MS Access application with extensive data entry, VBA code forms, macros, reports, queries, etc. which mail merges to word and produces hundreds of documents. Currently the application is sold to offices which may have one or 20 users. It is open-source and still in .mdb format so that users with varying versions of office can use it. What options might there be for a competent performer to move to different technology.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    One option is to move the backend tables to SQL server express. It's free and has a lot of possibilities (web reports, work with XML's, better security, ...)

look at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/clou...itions-express

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    At some point in the not too distant future, perhaps 5 years (in my humble opinion), .mdb will no longer be viable because users have moved on. You haven't said which version for .mdb but from Access 2013, 97 .mdbs need to first be converted to 2003 before converting to .accdb. But if your client base is staying with XP or earlier (even though it is no longer supported) then you need to keep a copy around. All my clients (new and old) are on Win 7 and above and Access 2007 and above (bit of a mixture between 32bit and 64bit) so I have now dropped all 2003 development and if a new client comes to me and insists on 2003 I regretfully have to decline the business.

Compared to other technologies, Access has a relatively easy learning curve so easiest solution is to upgrade to a .accdb format and keep going. At the moment I'm sticking with 2010, I don't think there are any real benefits in going to a more recent version at the moment - none of my apps would work better on the web and if they did I probably wouldn't use Access, more likely HTML5 or Java with sql server or MySQL backend. The backend is pretty straightforward (I have applications using these instead of an access backend) but there is a steep learning curve for the language for the front end, primarily because things are not so predefined so you have to create more of your objects from a lower level of building blocks. Even using things like Visual Studio, NetBeans or Eclipse can be challenging - they are generally despised by 'real' programmers so online help is not great either.

Abacus1234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013 32bit
    Thank you NoellaG and Ajax for your thoughtful replies. They are very helpful.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.