rscott7706 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Cool How to extract the data from additional columns in a lookup based on "I will type the values..."

I know this has been answered, and just can't find the result that answers my need.

I created a lookup table based on "I will type the values I want."

The table has two columns, one lists the member type, and the other description of that type.

So now, I want to present both fields in a report or query, when I create a report, I only get the first field, and don't have option to present the second. If I do a query, same thing, no way to add second column.

This should be simple, but I can't find an answer on the forum or using Google.

Thanks, Ron

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    In the query , join to the lookup table , pull BOTH columns into the query, then place them in the report.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I apologize, not an Access wiz (to say the least).

I do not find a "join to the lookup table" option on query screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	query.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	25146

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    once you place both tables on the field, use the mouse , grab a field , drag it to the lookup table ,and drop onto the same field in that table.
    that is a join.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    looks like you have set membertypeid as a multivalue field. This is only appropriate if a member can be more than one type. If a member cannot be more than one type, it should just be a field of long datatype.

to resolve your problem, click on and drag the membertypes table onto the query grid

then - for current setup, drag a line from MemberTypeID.value (should be just below where the view of the table cuts off) across to the equivalent field in the membertypes table. Then you can drag down the typename field or whatever you require as the second column

If you change the multivalue field to a normal field, do the same as above but drag the line from the MemberTypeID field itself

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I know your going to start thinking me a dunce, but this is not based on two tables, I entered the data in a lookup wizard choosing the option ""I will type the values I want."", not a lookup table

This field is just a field in the Members table. Here is a screen shot of it. I can't see the two columns in a query when I add that field to a query, just the first one, the one with A1, A2, ... but not the second that contains the descriptions "1 Year Membership", "2 Year Membership", etc.

I hope I explained this well, or am I missing the point on what your conveying to me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	members-table.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	25147

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Got ya... I thought I might be making the wrong choice when I did the wizard. I may just start over and make the right choice there on next try.

Thanks for your help!

Ron

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.