Mattyn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Initial Design Help

Hi All

This seems a good place to start. I have a fair bit of historical IT knowledge - HND level but it was about 13 years ago. I am pretty good at spread sheets, and was reasonably ok with Access - but that was Access 2K.
    Now I am in a new job (education facility) there is a massive requirement to move from spreadsheets to an all inclusive management database. Eventually I need to pull all sorts of stats but I will come to that later.

Courses: The facility I am in runs a lot of short term courses - from one day to 8 week duration. Each course is run multiple times per year (the minimum of each course occurrence is laid down by the head office). Each course is grouped into pillars (each pillar has about 15 courses). Each course has a number of EOs (enabling objectives) but not all are reached and I need to be able to see what EOs are not reached.

Students: Students may attend multiple courses (rarely the same course twice but not unheard of should they fail). They are awarded qualifications on successful completion of a course, but that is dependant on what EOs were reached. I need to chase students 6 months after a course to carry out a Course Review Questionnaire.

Staff: Each member of staff has a title, staff number, position name, position number, and fits into one pillar for course delivery. Also, each member of staff needs to complete some mandatory training annually - about 15 small courses which I need to track their due date for each staff member.

I also want to be able to manage classrooms - we have a number that differ in maximum capacity - from 6 to 16. Each course has a maximum capacity of students (based on course content not classroom size) and I need to be able to link the two together to enable a slightly easier planning phase of course generation.

First question is - this year we are planning 500 course occurrences with about 3000 students going through. Is Access up to the task?

Second question - I have started to design this, but scrapped it as I think I am trying to solve all the issues at once. What is the best way to attack this problem?

Third - the HQ are mental about stats. How many training days are we actually delivering, what EOs are we missing, why are students attending the course, how many courses were cancelled for non-attendance, how many no-shows did we get per year, to name but a few.

I see this as three databases in one - a Student, Staff and Course Management databases.

I would really appreciate some expert thoughts on this. Even if I don't get HQ to support it, I am quite keen to build it as a personal project - a bit of self learning!

Many thanks in advance

Matt

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Welcome.

I think we need a little more info about the project and the support you have for it. It seems very broad and not much detail.

this year we are planning 500 course occurrences with about 3000 students going through. Is Access up to the task?
    Technically Access can handle the volume. But perhaps the more appropriate questions are:

-who exactly would use the system? Admin? Staff? Researchers? HQ?
    -how do you propose to interact with the database? 1 PC? 30 PC's ? Via Internet?

Here are some links to some data models that may be useful to your analysis and planning.
    -Registration info

-Student Info System
    -Student Assessment

-Student Roster

Watch videos 1, 2 and 4 from this Database series by Daniel Soper starting here.

Good luck.

Mattyn is offline Novice
    Hi - thank you for the welcome and the quick reply.

Who would use the system - I would suggest me mainly, although we do have an Admin Officer who would require access to the data - question back is do multi-user databases need to be planned at the outset or can they be converted/modified?

Interaction would be via PC - I doubt whether more than 3 or 4 in total.

Thank you for the links. I will get started on some reading tonight.

Like I said, I think it is three databases in one. Starting with Staff, then the Courses we deliver, then the Students who attend. I have no "industrial support" currently, maybe that will happen in the future - who knows in this day and age of money saving.

Many thanks

Matt

Mattyn is offline Novice
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-05.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	25113

My first effort tonight at trying to nail the Staff bit - thoughts appreciated?

It all seems to work, though it is measuring 1.3MB at the moment. Do they always balloon in size?

I am working on the principle that I am best served building the tables first before fancy forms. Is this correct?

Matt

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.