Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Suggestions for Forum

If you look at a lot of the posts from regular helpers, their signatures contain some very good tips for posting, such as doing things to db copies, marking a thread solved, using code tags, etc. I think someone should embellish the "How To Post A Question" thread or "Reading and Posting Messages" (which is kinda buried in a FAQ link) by adding some of these tips in the hope that a new user will see some real good advice which could help them. It would also be easy to direct anyone there when needed.

Now what about those of us who dedicate free time? I think we could use some help too; especially when they do stuff like give sample data or structure that turns out to have NO bearing on what they want. That has happened to me a few times now, and today it kind of irked me enough that I declined to cooperate further. You might want to check this out to see what I mean

https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...850#post322850.

So now that you're back, maybe you're thinking I was too harsh (I can be a bit temperamental) but as I said, it's happened a few times now and it kinda pushed my button. I've been active in threads where 10 posts in, I/we still don't know what the heck is desired. However, this one starts out with shoes and moves to who knows what after I provided a solution. Makes me think I wasted my time.

So what might help us helpers is, tips on making it relevant, using actual object/field names, posting what you've tried, what you got, error messages with numbers, sql statements if it's a query problem, maybe background on the business need, etc. Orange has written a great piece of advice on stating the problem and need (which has been quoted with author acknowledgement by others) but I can't find it now (which kinda supports my point).
    Comments?
    Last edited by Micron; 06-21-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Excellent suggestions. I've sent this on to all Mods. Thanks Micron.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...712#post327712
    If I did this copy/paste correctlyrics on my phone, here's another example of a misleading post. It takes 9 to figure out it's not about customers and orders but is about a database questionaire. What in God's name makes people think that this is a good idea?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.