vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

error 3027 on backend file

I had a new one come up this morning and i'm not sure how or why. My front end users contacted me saying they were getting strange errors and when i inquired further it was and error 3027 Cannot update. Database or object is read-only. After looking at my backend file i found that it was the problem and would not open any other way but read-only. With a little bit of quick research i suspected corruption but every attempt to copy the file to a safe location to look at it also failed getting an error 0x80070021: The process cannot acccess the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. I'm not sure what the fix was, as i was trying to get all the front end users out of the database and at the same time continueing to try and make a copy it did finally make a copy and when i checked the backend file it was then back to normal? I did go ahead and run a compact and repair but has anyone seen this happen or have any insight as to how i can keep it from happening?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I see it all the time, but not usu with the backend.
    I think these databases are fragile, so backup often.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Did you happen to notice whether or not there was a lock file (.ldb or .laccdb) in the back-end database folder while these issues were occurring? If Access cannot create that file, you will get a read-only error.

The fact that you could not even copy the file I think indicates the problem might not have been MS Access itself. On possibility is that there was a network file permissions problem which was resolved while you were trying to get things working again. That scenario would explain why the back end suddenly reverted to normal.
    Last edited by John_G; 06-09-2016 at 10:55 AM. Reason: additional comment

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    There was a lock file that was actually showing up for a few seconds and then disappearing. When i tried using my Admin database with some code from the sample Whoisconnected, it was showing a user and computer that logged in yesterday and was logged out. I was actually trying to get ahold of him to see if he would restart his computer when it started working correctly. As for the network file permissions, i think i have complained enough on here about my poor network, it could have been the problem. I had just never heard of this and the quick research gave me the impression that not alot of indiviuals had either. I'll keep checking into it, thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.