Business is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Forms and subforms

hi all,
    i came across a problem where on my form invoice when doing the issue out,i can just do it for one item.
    I m using a combo box that autofill fields.I was wondering about how to get to select many item for one invoice.
    in fact i can just select one item for one invoice and this can be a problem.

How do i do it that when i select from the combox box other appears for me to select other items if i want to.

regards

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Please put some context with your issue.
    What tables do you have? Can you post a jpg of your relationships window?
    What relates Form and subform?

k let me explain to you,
    i got a stock table and invoice table same as stock form and invoice form.
    On the invoice formm i have got fields(date:textbox,name of product:combo box,price:textbox,quantiy purchased:textbox and total). Or when i do the rtansaction i have noticed that i can only deal with one item.i have to save if i want to use another one. i would like the combo box after update to open other field for father use. i wonder if it has to be dealt on the form or some coding are requiered

Can you post a jpg of your relationships window?

From your post I understand that you have a database that you have built. You have described how the process works or doesn't quite work at the moment using Access terms (combobox,form, textbox...).
    What is your "business" in clear, simple English --no Access terminology.

it s an inventory system. it s the sale transaction part where i m stuck
    I have a form that is an invoice Form. The subform is where they will enter the item customers need to buy. the fields are

SKU (Combobox)
    Product Name
    Unit Price
    Quantity
    Total Price (which calculates the sum of that line)

Only one line is showing right now. I want a new line to appear when the user hits enter in the Total Price field so they can enter another item. I have searched help and the how to section but maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I don't have any code in the AfterUpdate field which I'm thinking I need to put something but don't know what.

Can you post a jpg of your relationships window? I'm not quite following your set up.

I have a feeling you are trying to add LineItems to an InvoiceDetail table, but it isn't clear if you have an InvoiceLineItem table.

may you send me your email adress,i m struggling to load it into it here. And i qant to add a line to a form nt to the table

Use the forum.
    Go to your relationships window, do a Print screen( PrtScrn/PrtSc), then paste into your graphics program (Wprd, Paint, IrFanView....)

there we go orange,i did send you as well the invoice form but with that one i can process only one iteł at the time.I want to be able to process many at the same time.I would lie it to be as the last print screen i have sent you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails send.gif   send2.gif   Sans titre.gif  

Your basic issue is with relationships.
    --One Invoice can have Many Items
    --One Item can be related to Many Invoices

However, you are dealing with Retail Sales in general.
    Typically, that would involve

A Customer/Client makes one or many Order(s) to purchase one or Many Items.
    So, one Customer could make Many Orders.
    An Order could include Many Items.
    An Item could be related to many Orders.

Further, based on your posts, you acquire Items (or build them) and place them (Item(s)) into Stock/Inventory.
    When a Customer Orders(purchases) an Item, you reduce the quantity of that Item in stock by the quantity of Item purchased.

You also appear to have a replenishment scheme (I saw the Minimum in your Stock table). From that, and based on other systems as well, it appears your have an identified ReOrderPoint for each Item --once the stock level reaches the reOrderPoint, a transaction is spawned to ReOrder the reOrderQuantity of that Item.

Other things that may be involved are: BackOrder and Substitution of Items ---depends on the sophistication of your system/business.

It seems to me that you do not have a model that represents your business (processes). You must have Customers, and it is those Customers that made purchases (Orders and Items) that would receive and pay the related Invoices. So, I'm suggesting your basic design needs rethinking.

If an Invoice has LineItems that represent individual items purchased, then you need a junction table between Item/Product and Invoice. This will allow One Invoice to represent many Items/Products.
    In general, Invoice--->InvoiceLineItem<---Item/Product where ----> represents a 1--->Many relationship

Here is a free data model from Barry Williams' site (Customers and inventory) that may provide some insight. All his models are generic and address the main concepts of a typical set up. Your requirements may differ. The models are meant as a starting point and you can drop/add things as necessary to reflect your needs.

In most Inventory applications, changes to stock/inventory are set up as transactions. Acquisition of Items from a Supplier are considered positive transactions; Sales of Items (depletion of stock) are considered negative transactions. You can always determine current stock by using:

Code:
    Current Stock (by Item) = Last StockTaking Quantity 
                                        + Items Acquired Since Last  StockTaking 
                                         - Items Sold Since last StockTaking

see Allen Browne's article for more details and examples.

Here is another data model from Barry Williams dealing with Customers and Invoices.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

ok orange i m working on it,will let you know when i find issue,understand i m still a novice in this but i believe practice makes perfect

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.