GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

A2003 - Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast not working

In the segment of code shown below, I'm wondering if the statement Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast is valid in A2003. There are no compiler errors, yet when I trace the code in Debug it is clear that the current record IS NOT the last record in the RecordSource following the "MoveLast". My intent in this code is to either process with parameters taken from the last reocrd in the RecordSource OR capture a couple of pieces of data from the last record, create a new record and process based on the newly created data.

The code is dependent on the use of Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast and Me.RecordsetClone.MovePrevious. Obviously, if Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast doesn't work, then nothing else will be correct either. I can use other approaches, but if Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast is supposed to work in A2003 I need to somehow resolve that question.

The form's property sheet specifies RecordSource as a simple query with the sort order ascending on what is essentially an autonumber.

Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Dim intCodeCount As Integer
    Dim PCDate As Date
    Dim PCPrevRptNo As Integer
    Dim BaseDate As Date
    Dim intNewRptNo As Integer

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    '*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ' This form is simply a preliminary view of the Per Capita report wherein the opportunity
    ' is provided to add information that IS NOT inherently found in the current database.
    ' Information that is entered here is retained in the Per Capita table (tblpercap) on a
    ' serialization (Report Number) and date basis.  Once the user issues the "Submit" command,
    ' the Per Capita table entry for the current report is marked (PCSub) True.
    '*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast                    'Move to last registered report

'Has it already been submitted?
        If Me.PerCapSub = True Then
            'Yes. Register a new report
            BaseDate = Me.PerCapReportDate        ' Date of last submitted CP report is new base
            intNewRptNo = Me.PerCapRptNo + 1      ' Increment report number (We'll need to test for 1st "THIS YEAR")
            CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tblPerCap (PerCapRptNo, PerCapReportDate) VALUES(" & intNewRptNo & ",#" & Date & "#)"
            ' Okay, new record is now the current record
        Else
            'No. We're resuming a suspended report.  Get the base date from previous PC report.
            Me.RecordsetClone.MovePrevious        ' Back up one record
            BaseDate = Me.PerCapReportDate        ' We're reporting based on that date
            Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast            ' Okay, now back to whence we came....... the last record in the set.
            Me.tbReNewAdj = Me.AdjRenew
            Me.tbNewAdj = Me.AdjNew
        End If

'Set the text boxes with appropriate report number and report date.
    Me.tbRptNo = intNewRptNo
    Me.tbDOR = Me.PerCapReportDate

Call PopulateControls("1/1/" & Year(Date), "YTD")
    Call PopulateControls(BaseDate, "")
    Call UpTheGrands

End Sub

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    For starters, the open event is too soon to work with data. Try the load event. I'm more likely to work with data directly from the table, rather than rely on moving around a form's records.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    What you should be doing is moving last on a record set based on the clone, not the clone itself:
    Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
    rs.MoveLast
    However, a clone is only in memory, and without using the bookmark property to keep the clone and the form in sync, you run the risk of acting on records that are not being displayed or at least being the active record.
    'Okay, new record is now the current record
    I'm missing the point as to why you have to work with the clone instead of the form's recordset.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    The valid use of the statement "Me.RecordsetClone.MoveLast" in Access A2003 notwithstanding, the whole approach in making a hasty design decision in retrofitting a somewhat major functional addition to an existing app is/was inadequate at best. The modifications required are far more global to the app than first thought. Sorry to have wasted your time, Bill

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.