Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Khermann is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Building an easy to use training database

So I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I can't seem to come up with the correct terminology to explain what I'd like to accomplish, but let me start from the beginning:

I was given a project a few days ago to create an employee training database, and up until now I have never touched Access but I'm quite computer savvy and have been watching various tutorials, taking notes, and practicing, trying to come up with a system that will fix a logging problem right now but also make it easy for others in the future to go back, edit, add, remove, etc.

I have 74 job positions, of which have their own position training modules as well as annual department training associated with them. Thanks to these forums I've been able to piece together something simple. But my question is this:

I would like to make a form that when you enter in or select a department/job position will bring up only the applicable training for that specific job in that specific department, instead of forcing an administrator to have to scroll through every single one. So if I'm entering in a new employee or adding newly accomplished training I enter in or select from a drop down menu the department and position the employee holds, so for example someone who works in department 123123 as a Warehouse Worker sor"Warehouse Worker - 123123" (I have this set up in a calculated field) it will change the position modules and department training to reflect or show only those associated with that position. So is this possible and how can I accomplish it or what tutorials do you know that will help teach me?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sounds like this may be appropriate:

http://www.baldyweb.com/CascadingCombo.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thank you pbaldy, but I don’t think this is quite what I’m looking for, or at least I couldn’t find any other ways to make it work. What I envision, and forgive me if this isn’t possible, is that when I enter in a new employee or want to update an existing employee’s status, I want the form to be able to recognize the specific department and position title that the employee has. Ideally I would like it to appear as a sub-form that will update to show all the training required for that position as well as the annual training required by the department that specific position is in.

So say Employee A and B are both welders, they will both be required to complete the same series of training modules (typically around 13) before being qualified to work that position. But Employee A works in the Aluminum Department and must complete 35 annual training modules to maintain his certification with that department, while Employee B works in the Steel Department and will need to do 40 annual training modules. So if I have a new welder in the steel department I can just add the specific title/dept number combo assigned and the sub-form will automatically generate the names of the training he needs to complete as well as the ability to enter in when that training module was successful completed.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I have this set up in a calculated field)
    In a table? If so, avoid those like the plague. If you like, I can post links on normalization, table design, naming practices and reserved words. If you are not familiar with the topics, I strongly suggest you review them before you make things difficult for yourself down the road (if the calculated field is in a table, you are already going down that path).

I have seen training databases and some of them can be as robust as a fully developed commercial app if you need stuff like classrooms, instructors, certifications, re-certs, etc. Not an easy task by any means.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    In a table? If so, avoid those like the plague. If you like, I can post links on normalization, table design, naming practices and reserved words. If you are not familiar with the topics, I strongly suggest you review them before you make things difficult for yourself down the road (if the calculated field is in a table, you are already going down that path).

I have seen training databases and some of them can be as robust as a fully developed commercial app if you need stuff like classrooms, instructors, certifications, re-certs, etc. Not an easy task by any means.
    I actually just removed that calculated field completely so I now just have the same information but as a text field.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here is a partial data model that may apply to your situation.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EmployeePositionTraining.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Here is a partial data model that may apply to your situation.

Good luck.
    Thank you but I already have this image and my tables are already modeled after it.

Perhaps you could post your current data model so we can better understand your requirements.

Probably should have done this first. I feel like I have the relationships well lined up and that this covers what I need, I think I'm mostly struggling with queries, forms, and sub-forms, but any suggestions are always appreciated!

I suggest you do not have embedded spaces in field and object names. Also the "/" and "#" may be an issue with syntax generally.

You do not need Position Title and Dept # in the Employee table. That info is available via a query on Employee, EmployeeOccupiesPosition and JobPosition.

Get your tables and relationships designed/modelled to meet your requirements.
    Then test your model with some data and test scenarios.

I'm mostly struggling with queries
    Identify a query and using pencil and paper, and some sample data, can you get the data you need from the query from your current model? You can add a few records if necessary, then run the query--what happens? Success? More work required? Just don't add all your data into all your tables before you have vetted th model and are comfortable with your test scenario results.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    [QUOTE=orange;321078]I suggest you do not have embedded spaces in field and object names. Also the "/" and "#" may be an issue with syntax generally.[quote]
    Also include the ampersand and parenthesis as characters NOT to use.....

taliorn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    So I am doing the same thing I noticed a lot of the people doing here. Building a Database for Training Employees. Since this is my first database from scratch I have been going slow and trying to think of the best way to do this.

As you can see from the list I have several different training tables that I would like to hook up to the otherside. For some reason I have a brain block and can't figure out the best way. Any suggestions to get the brain moving again would be great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationships.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	25056

I think I figured it out. Now all I have to do is match employee with position and record the dates of the training.

I would love for an expert though to take a peak at it and tell me what they think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationships 2.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	25061

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    @taliorn - Welcome to the forum....

You should have started your own thread and referenced Khermann's thread.

What you have done is called "Hijacking a thread".
    You will not get very many views because the original thread was started May 25,2016 and the last post was May 31, 2016.

Maybe a kind moderator will split your post from Khermann's so you will get more views.....

Good luck with your project........

Not what I meant to do. I thought since it was a similar subject it should be posted together.

Sorry about that I will create my own post next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.