swenger is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Network Connectivity

I am not sure if this is the correct forum. I seem to have a network issue, but it only seems to effect access so until I can figure out the issue I was wondering if anyone knows of a workaround specific to access.

After having the access open for an hour or two, nothing seems to work. Sometimes I get a network connectivity issue in access. I had a copy of the database open simultaneously from my hard drive and the network and only the network instance stopped. It seems like it only lost for a fraction of a second, because all my other network applications continued to run.

I tried a basic ping -t which I wrote to a text file. After the connection issue I went to check the file and every line was time=<1, 1 or 2 ms but there were two instances where time=10. Would that cause my issue?

Is there a way to program access to reconnect for such a small delay?

Thanks

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    The issue you are describing sounds low level. I would run Wireshark an analyze the stream off data like you would a network stream. It sounds more like you are having DNS issues. Ping is ICMP, MS Access is TCP/IP, like apples to oranges.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is there anywhere in Access where there is a timeout from the network or similar. I find it strange since I have many network applications running and not a single one has a disconnect issue so I find it hard to believe to actually be a network disconnect issue.

The actual error message which I get sometimes is "Your network access was interrupted. To continue, close the database, and then open it again."

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Just a thought.... are you connected by wire (ethernet cable) or wireless to the LAN?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    1GB Wired. Turned off my WIFI to prevent conflict

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swenger View Post
    Is there anywhere in Access where there is a timeout from the network or similar. I find it strange since I have many network applications running and not a single one has a disconnect issue so I find it hard to believe to actually be a network disconnect issue.

The actual error message which I get sometimes is "Your network access was interrupted. To continue, close the database, and then open it again."
    No, there isnt.

I dont find it strange that your applications work just fine while access doesnt. Perhaps you could share in your network data layer knowledge for applications on a windows netowrk.

The network did disconnect, thats the message you are seeing. But windows resolved the connection, sadly not fast enough.

This would be like asking your radio to manage your engine in your car when you lose reception on a station. Its not possible, you could use a 3rd part tool but that wouldnt really be Fixing the issue at hand which could get worse.

Try these first
    Disable Windows ARP on your network.
    Force all PC's to use plugged in DNS information
    Flush the DNS responder cache
    Check to see if the Network Shared resource is having all the open file handles on it closed during a backup process. This would definintly create the issues you are seeing.

Get
    https://www.wireshark.org/

Use it to trap the the instance you are seeing, it will likely tell you why in the preceeding packet data.

I use to make giant data stores tracking network data for 300 pc's going through a firewall on daily captures. you should be able to do this for a few days on a single pc. Its best to note when the error occured.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I made a copy of the access file onto another windows 2012 server which is running less applications and services. I ran two instances of access, each one using the same database on each of the servers. After a couple hours the database on the original server lost connection but the one on the new server continued to function.

So I don't believe my issue is a network issue anymore. It seems to be like a time-out or something on that server. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this as I would prefer to keep it on my original server which is the file server for all our data.

Thanks,

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think it may have to with a setting somewhere in access or on the server. When I initially had this on our Windows Server 2008 R2 and had the issues, I made a simple test by copying the database to another Windows Server which is only running WSUS on a share I created and opened the database from both servers as 2 instances on my computer. When I received the network error on instance running on the original server, I looked at the second instance and it continued to run properly. I assumed that it was something on the server so decided to just keep running on this server. However as multiple users started to run this database the network issue is now happening on this server as well.

So I think it must have something to do with multiple users on the share or running access at the same time. Access should be able to run with multiple users at once as well as the server. I really don't know where to look but need to solve this.

Thanks,

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think I resolved this from another post. I have the drive letter mapped through GP and use the replace drive letter. It seems that unlike Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and 10 (I am using Windows 10), the replace actually disconnects and then reconnects the drive. So it looks like I get the network error on the disconnect whenever GP policy refreshes. I changed the Replace to Update in the GP and will test for the rest of the day.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.