talmrubin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Avg Total in Query

I am running a query on average sales prices over the last 30 days. I am running into an issue where my raw data has line items with a "$0" price that is artificially lowering my averages. Below is a screen show of the query and the column in yellow

http://imgur.com/AdyiHer

What can I do to not have it calculate line items with a "$0" unit price when using an Avg Total?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    add <> 0 or > than some number in the unit price field
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I tried this and am getting the same output. I believe when using <>0 is it only nulling the output and not the input data

I tried this and am getting the same output. I believe when using <>0 is it only nulling the output and not the input data

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I believe when using <>0 is it only nulling the output
    No, not if you make it criteria as suggested. You cannot convert the output to nulls when using comparison operators, but I don't know what your statement means with respect to input data. You cannot null that either, whatever it its.

If you wish to exclude anything that equals zero in a SELECT query, you enter the appropriate expression into the query design grid in that field as criteria. In your Totals query example, you have 3 fields that are criteria fields. Add the Unit Price field again, set the Total row for that field to be WHERE as you have done for the Shipped field and deselect the option to show. It's the same as the shipped field - it has criteria in the form of a date range.

You may not be getting accurate results because you are using Group By on two fields with criteria yet you chose not to display them. After you fix the current issue, I recommend setting those Group By's for those two fields to WHERE to see if there's a difference. Also, if your Date/Time fields are formatted to include the time, BETWEEN date comparisons will cut off records with time values beyond midnight on any given ending date.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.