shinydiamond is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Access Web App showing all records when filter applied in datasheet or query views

Hi All,
    First, please let me preface my question so that it's clear that I'm referring to the Access Web App (2013/2016), NOT the desktop version of Access. What works easily in the desktop version is usually quite cumbersome in the web app.

I have a multi-user database running where users can only see their own records. This is done (thanks to other people on this form for helping me) by using a macro tied to the "On Load" function of the datasheet view or queries. The macro does a refresh and only displays records which have the user's ID in them. However, we've just discovered that if the user goes to the header row and clicks on the filters, they can then access all records! Has anyone figured out a way to prevent this from happening? It seems like the filters should only allow a filtration of the existing records being displayed, not the entire database.

I hope that I have not uncovered a major security flaw in the Access Web App. This type of thing could shut our entire database down if I can't figure out a workaround.

Thanks for any help

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Change the datasource of the form to run off a query with the values filtered for the user. It sounds like you are just filtering a form, which doesnt prevent the User from unfilitering.

Beyond this, Making your own Front End in jQuery and Ajax is the route that I went. The Web Forms options just limit so much in the name of "convenience".

shinydiamond is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thanks Perceptus for the help. Your concept worked. With the help of the two videos at:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US
    I learned that creating blank datasheets that launch popups is the way to go. The filter criteria are embedded (and in my case hidden so the user can't change them) in the blank datasheet. The popup invokes the query which only displays a filtered list. No macros needed and no way for the user to see additional data. Problem solved!

I'll have to check out jQuery and Ajax if they're compatible with what I've already built.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get a total row at the bottom of my queries.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.