sibyseb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Problem with getting appropriately grouped report. ? Ignorance or flaw in design

I am creating a simple database to record progress of students with some procedures. I have a list of students (less than 10) and each of them is supposed to do procedures. There is a lookup list of 8 procedures. Each one is supposed to do each procedure more than once. I want to produce a report detailing the number of times each of the 8 procedures were done by each student. I am unable to get such a grouping. I have attached an example. I created a lookup list table of procedures and students and another table storing the main data. When each student does any of the procedure, it is recorded as one record.
    I would like to know if the table design need to be restructured or if I am getting the reporting technique wrong.
    (I am learning ms access and may be missing some obvious but simple steps)

Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum.......

Maybe this???

I changed a few names.
    Shouldn't use spaces in object names.
    "ID" in every table is a poor naming convention.
    "Procedure" is a reserved word in Access.

I created a totals query and used that query as the report record source and added sorting on procedure name.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you Steve for your help and advice. You got it spot on. The only little thing I would have liked was to show a count of 0 for procedures not done rather than not mentioning it.
    This was in fact a sub-report section of a database I have been creating. The file I sent was for demo, but you illustrated nicely how to implement my idea. Let me get on with the rest.
    Siby.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Happy to help.....

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Make this query:

Code:
    SELECT TblStudents.StudentID_PK, TblProcedureList.ProcedureID_PK
    FROM TblStudents, TblProcedureList;
    Name it qryStudentProcedureCartesian

Create this query with the result:

Code:
    SELECT qryStudentProcedureCartesian.StudentID_PK, TblStudents.StudentName, qryStudentProcedureCartesian.ProcedureID_PK, TblProcedureList.txtProcedure, Count(TblProceduresStudent.StudentProcID) AS CountOfStudentProcID
    FROM ((qryStudentProcedureCartesian LEFT JOIN TblProceduresStudent ON (qryStudentProcedureCartesian.StudentID_PK = TblProceduresStudent.StudentID_FK) AND (qryStudentProcedureCartesian.ProcedureID_PK = TblProceduresStudent.ProcedureID_FK)) LEFT JOIN TblProcedureList ON qryStudentProcedureCartesian.ProcedureID_PK = TblProcedureList.ProcedureID_PK) LEFT JOIN TblStudents ON qryStudentProcedureCartesian.StudentID_PK = TblStudents.StudentID_PK
    GROUP BY qryStudentProcedureCartesian.StudentID_PK, TblStudents.StudentName, qryStudentProcedureCartesian.ProcedureID_PK, TblProcedureList.txtProcedure;
    this will give you a count of all the zero records as well.

or if you are comfortable with nested SQL statements

Code:
    SELECT CPS.spk, TblStudents.StudentName, CPS.ppk, TblProcedureList.txtProcedure, Count(PS.StudentProcID) AS ProcCount
    FROM (((SELECT TblStudents.StudentID_PK AS SPK, TblProcedureList.ProcedureID_PK AS PPK
    FROM TblStudents, TblProcedureList)  AS CPS LEFT JOIN TblProceduresStudent AS PS ON (CPS.PPK = PS.StudentID_FK) AND (CPS.SPK = PS.ProcedureID_FK)) LEFT JOIN TblStudents ON CPS.SPK = TblStudents.StudentID_PK) LEFT JOIN TblProcedureList ON CPS.PPK = TblProcedureList.ProcedureID_PK
    GROUP BY CPS.spk, TblStudents.StudentName, CPS.ppk, TblProcedureList.txtProcedure;

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you rpeare for your excellent solution. Although I don't know sql queries much, when copied into access query, both of your solutions worked brilliantly.
    I gather there are many helpful experts supporting this forum
    Siby

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.