Ron Godbout is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Post SharePoint vs Cloud for a Hybrid Database

A long time ago, I designed a large program / application that recorded and controlled all aspects of our manufacturing operation. At that time I placed all of the tables (we called them db's at that time) on a lan windows server, and all of the forms, querys, reports etc. were on all of the user (client) computers. I started a application much the same for a customer using Access 2010. Prior to getting started, I did some research on SharePoint lists and decided I could probably set this application up in much the same way in which the SharePoint server would host the back end (tables only), and each user would have the Access front end on their personal computers. I wanted to do this, as much of the program has been written in VBA, and I understand SharePoint does not allow for VBA.

I have now designed approx. 95% of this Access application, and am starting to think about the implications of having SharePoint host the back end. After doing some more research it appears that there are many related problems to this, and a fair amount of modifications I would have to make to the tables in order to host on SharePoint.

On this forum I read an interesting reply to a similar post. The reply was made by A S Mann, and in his reply he indicated that you could place the back end on cloud (he suggested Drop Box, I currently use Box). This sounds like an interesting option! We are a fairly small operation, probably only about 5 users, however we are all based at different locations. So my questions on this issue are:

• Is this a viable option, placing all tables on the cloud (Box), with all users having their own front end to be able to add and edit records in tables used by all?
    • if so, how would I place the back end on the cloud, I cannot use the export option?
    • How would my forms, querys, reports determine where to find the tables required?
    • Would the tables on the cloud be updated by users as they add or edit records?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has the chance to respond to this post

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You should really have thought this through before starting to develop.

I had bad experiences with sharepoint in its early days so now avoid - it may have improved but I believe there are better options out there.

Dropbox - not really an option unless you can guarantee only one user is using it at a time. With dropbox, the file is effectively downloaded from the cloud to your machine (it is actually imaged). You make changes and it is uploaded again - so if two users download, only the last one to upload will be there. The other users changes will be lost at worst or saved in a different copy at best.

Consider using something like Azure for the backend. It is something I keep meaning to investigate further, but my clients are happy with non cloud solutions for now and I've not yet found time to get ahead of the curve.

Here is an older discussion link on the subject. Read to the end and it will give you some idea of the issues with cloud based solutions - but might be the easiest solution for you, given you have nearly completed your development

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...ndowsazuredata

And this one also refers to costs - however not dated so you'll need to see the MS website for current prices.

http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoft-azure/index.html

Another alternative is to use Terminal Server - comes at a price but a number of my clients with a distributed user base use it. Google to find providers - here is an example of a rental web option rather than outright purchase, but not one I've used so no idea how good they are

http://www.yourofficeanywhere.co.uk/...abase-hosting/

I note you are using 64bit Access. Just be aware that might be an issue - 64bit office is only worthwhile for Excel power users, no benefit for Access and there can be some issues with some API's that can't be translated to 64bit.

Any cloud based solution is going to cost money one way or another.

Ron Godbout is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks so much for your information. I believe this definitely answers my question about Drop Box, which almost looked to good to be true.

Not sure where to move from here, I think I will do more research on the Hybrid SharePoint application which seems to be widely accepted and discussed, and probably the simplest method of moving forward.

From what I understand, in this Hybrid situation, I would only have to ensure that the tables would conform to the web based tables as specified or checked by Access, therefore the majority of my development should allow for this hybrid SharePoint application. Are there any other items that I would have to consider?

Again - Thanks

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm not an expert on sharepoint so can't offer an opinion (other than I wasn't impressed). Suggest google 'access sharepoint' or similar to see what users say

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.