snowboarder234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Using hypertext links in database design.

I'm using the hypertext field for book titles so they can be linked to the Internet. Now I'm coming across books that are not on the Internet, and thus, if used in a hypertext filed, it obviously leads to an error message for the end user. The only solution I can think of is creating just a plain text field specifically for those titles w/out an Internet presence. However, that will end up creating blank fields in the database, something I always hope to avoid. Any suggestions?

NightWalker is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would just use an N/A to fill in the blank ones, But I am fairly new at this. I am interested in some of the more experienced answers as well.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    there is nothing wrong with having blank fields in a table - just means there is no data. Personally I would have two fields, one for book title and one for the hyperlink (Hyperlink text could be a standard 'click here' and the control migh have no borders and a transparent background). If there is no hyperlink then that is the field that would be blank and clicking on it will do nothing. If you wanted to show something you can use the format property to show an alternative message for when there is no hyperlink e.g.

;;;"No Web Link"

Alternatively, hide or remove the hyperlink control from your form and have some code behind the book title (which can be formatted to look like a hyperlink) which checks to see if there is a link and if there is, opens it, otherwise displays a message 'No Web Link' or similar.

You can even use conditional formatting to change the book title background or foreground or remove the underline based on whether the hyperlink field is null

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.