confusedbutoptimistic is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Question Select and display multiple records by name

Hi!

I'm completely new at Access and I only need this one thing done for now. After trying to figure it out for the past five hours, I'm ready to explode so I need help.

Basically, at my work, there is a set list of places that require an employee, but each employee knows some of the places only, and they're not always the same employees every day.
    What I'm trying to do to ease allocating them to the right place is having some kind of form (anything that will be easy for my colleagues to just click on once it's all set up) linked to a list of what each employee knows.
    I've managed to create a table, with ID being that random number assigned, then an employee name as simply a text that you input, and then as an example, Place 1, Place 2, Place 3, and those are ticking a box if they are trained on it.
    Imagine I've got 100 employees on there in total, and 20 places to fill every day, how can the person allocating people on the Tuesday select multiple employees on a form (the ones coming that day), press a button, and voila, you would get the same table as the full one, but with just them and all the Place columns displayed (so they can see, only one person knows place 3, four people know place 6, etc...).
    Also, if you wanted to switch up an employee for another, and wanted to see what they knew, would you have to run the whole query again and reselect everyone, or is there some way to hide/show different records?

Thanks a lot,
    Lea

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Instead of tables and forms, you need to identify and write down - in clear simple English - WHAT your database is trying to support. That is, a description of your "business" including the "things involved" and their relationship with one another.

From your post I see Employee and Places and although not explicitly stated "workday or weekday". Also you mention
    list of what each employee knows
    Is that Skills?

How do these things relate to each other?

Get a clear statement of WHAT you are trying to do first. Then determine HOW it could be done. Usually there are many options, depending on the details that will evolve as you do more analysis.

Mock up a prototype that you can bounce off your colleagues. But don't try to do the whole project as a first step.
    There's a lot to learn.

You could start with Normalization, Data model/ERD, Creating a database.

There are some articles here that should help you.

Good luck with your project.

confusedbutoptimistic is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Hey!
    Thanks for your help. I did figure it out on my own before seeing your message though, so in case you're interested:
    what I meant by "what each employee knows" was "which place each employee is trained on", sorry that wasn't clear. No need for weekdays or workdays in there.
    It was the simplest thing, I simply created the database with each record being the name of the employee, and then each "place" as a 'yes', 'more training needed', or 'no' selection.
    The thing I didn't realise was you can just select different records by clicking on the top of the column, or select all the "yes" for a different place (a column), so I didn't actually have to add anything or create a query, it's already built in..
    Thanks again!
    Have a good day.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.