Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    katiedee is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit

Please help me! In a crunch with a tight turnaround

I have just started learning Access a week ago. I have paid for several tutorials and am at the point where I've built my form and am building a Main Menu Page. I am running into problems with the control buttons. I would gladly pay for some live help so I can end this nightmare!

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Just post your problems here, include code samples & error message specifics and someone will be able to help here. The people here (Myself excluded) are very nice and knowledgeable. It amazes me how fast I can get things sorted out on this forum, these people have truly seen it all at this point and are legitimate rockstars when it comes to VBA/Access support and guidance.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Help here is free. In clear and concise terms, state the goal and what's preventing you from achieving it e.g. lack of understanding of concepts, error messages (including the message number). "Doesn't work" is of no help. Post what you've tried if applicable, and what is happening when you attempt to execute actions. Remember that all you know and understand of your project and your issues is in your head - we know and understand nothing of what you have or are facing. Above all, try to use correct terms (e.g. if you mean command button, that's one thing. Option buttons are something else).
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thank you, I will do my best to explain. I have Access 2013 and have been working on a form for others to use to track incoming calls. None of the templates fit the bill, so I started from scratch. I've designed the form and made it looks nice and can enter info into it and it will appear in the linked table. However, whenever I open the form it is always on a blank form. That's not a bad thing, but none of the other records appear in the Form View. I don't know what I did, but I created another database going step-by-step with Access Learning Zone tutorials (both the free and paid ones) and when I open the form there it does show all the records that I can arrow through. However, I did not use that database because I had already spent a great deal of time creating the form in another one and thought I could fix any errors.

So my other problem is that I am trying to create a simple Main Menu where the staff will open up the database, see the main menu first and have a choice of either "Enter New Record" or "Search for an Existing Record." I did create another form for this and was able to add a command button to enter a new record. It does bring up the blank form, which is why I said it was a good thing it was blank earlier. But when I added the Find Record navigation button it says "You can't use Find or Replace now."

The other operation I want to add is when a new record is created or an existing record has been updated that they can "Save" it and "Close it" and it will take them back to the main menu and they can exit out of the database at that point. I don't want anyone to be able to have any rights in the database, except to add a new record or update an existing one. Often time a caller will call back months later and get a different staff person, but I only want one main client record. In a perfect world it would be nice to open that existing client record and then be able to add additional notes, new date of contact and the new staff person working with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Is it acceptable to send a screen shot of the two forms with the properties showing?

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Here is the bit you want about the form open/close stuff.

Create a form, with two command buttons. "Enter New Record" and "Search for an Existing Record." would be the caption, but the names lets do this.

fmrMain is going to be this "Main Menu" form.
    cmdNew = "Enter New Record"
    cmdExisting = "Search for an Existing Record."

Assuming you have this "Main Menu" form set to open on load. This is the code you would add under the form. In Alt+f11, or the onclick event of the button in properties.

Code:
    Sub cmdNew_Click()
    DoCmd.close acForm, Me.Name
    DoCmd.OpenForm " ~ Insert form used to enter new record here ~", acNormal

Sub cmdExisting_Click()
    DoCmd.close acForm, Me.Name
    DoCmd.OpenForm " ~ Insert form used to read an existing record here ~", acNormal

And from those other forms, you just do it in reverse.

Acceptable for sure; I think most people who do that don't show all of the relevant tabs of the property sheet or if they do, the needed portions. That's quite understandable most of the time because if they knew what to include, they'd know enough about the issue to solve it themselves.
    It is preferable to use the same form in various modes and have the user dictate which is needed rather than make a form for each as I think you are doing. This is probably required reading for you https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../ff197373.aspx specifically AllowEdits, AllowAddtions, AllowDeletions (properties listed on the left nav column of the web page) and the DataEntry property. I strongly suspect you will need to understand this now, and for the future. You've likely created both forms using the same property settings which are not compatible for both cases. For your extended goal, you may need the ability to lock certain fields (textboxes, comboboxes) so that some but not all can be edited. That's easy enough, but let's get the first part working.

I advocate using the same form and using the OpenArgs of the Docmd.Open method to tell your form Open event which mode was requested. In the opening code, the controls are enabled/disabled as required and the Allow properties set as needed. It looks something like
    docmd.OpenForm "yourFormName",acNormal,,,,,"addMode". Note that addMode is my made up word to tell me, as the programmer, which mode I'm going to code for. While you can control some of the 'Allow' properties in this opening statement, you cannot set control 'enabled' properties, so I tend to do both in the form Open event. You would also need command buttons to Save (or not) a record, and should also review the IsDirty property of a form so that you know something about when a form has or has not been saved. Hope that helps you get a bit more relevant knowledge so you can move on.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Thank you so much for your reply. I now realize just how much of a beginner I am. I thought I was just a couple of clicks away from finishing, but see that there's so much more to do to get this up and running. Bottom line, all I have is the form to enter the data, the table it's linked to and the nice and pretty Main Menu form. But what I'm missing is basically everything else. I haven't built a macro, don't know how to say which form to load on open, so forth. I can click on the Add New Record and it will bring up the blank form I built.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have a clear description of WHAT you are trying to automate? The things involved and how they relate to each other in business(plain English). I see Form and Main Menu, which are good, but I haven't seen requirements.
    Getting your tables and relationships deigned to support your business requirements is a critical step in database.

Good luck with your project.

If you really are in a time crunch, you might be wise to consider doing as orange suggests, along with posting a zipped copy of your db if it's not too sensitive. I note that you are using 2013, so if your db uses features that are not compatible with 2007, I won't be able to help. There is usually someone here who can open later versions who is also quite generous with their time. For proprietary reasons, I cannot show too much of this particular switchboard form (what you're calling a main form, I think), but it might help give you some sense of direction. Access 2007 is not nearly as pretty as the new versions!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SwtchbrdButns.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	24536
    If two or more of these buttons open the same form or report, I use the OpenArgs of the opening statement to pass the info to the form/report open event and take care of things there. However, I forgot that you are going to try to use macros. I for one almost never use them, so I am not real adept with their usage. You might not have time to search for vba code on the 'net and adapt for your use in your project, but it is definitely the way to go when you have time to learn vba.

Thank you for your responses and great questions, as they help me to understand what I need to be considering. But to answer your questions, these are my requirements and what I'm trying to automate:

The client form is designed strictly to input demographic data. Some fields are set values to choose from with multiples allowed, while others are restricted to a single value choice. Other fields are set to short text fields, i.e, name, address, etc; and one field is set to long text, which is a narrative. Some fields are set to "Yes/No." No fields are marked as required. Once the form has been completed, the staff should be able to press a control button to either enter another new record or close out of the record, which will take them back to the main menu from which they can click on the red X to close out of the database.

If a caller has a follow-up call, all the staff will need to do is be at the main menu screen and search for the record, open it, and add more notes to the existing narrative field (as I call it). This is a much simpler method rather than adding a subform that will open in another window for the staff to add a new date and narrative specifically for that caller. If I knew how to do the latter, I certainly would prefer that method, but it's not necessary at this point.

The requirements for the main menu is to be able to perform two functions - add a new record and search for an existing record. The search choices should be by caller first and last name, as long as at least one of those fields are completed. I would like for the search to return all possible matches, i.e., if looking for Jane Doe, you could type "Ja" in the first name field and Doe in the last name. That way it will return all possible first name starting with Ja. Same goes for last name. If no existing record is found, then the results will be, "No existing record found" and the staff will then choose "add a new record."

The purpose to this database is to keep a record of all calls. For reporting purposes I will build queries based on the fields in the call records, i.e, what counties did we serve? How many were under the age of X, and so forth.

In my mind's eye, I was envisioning something fairly easy and cut-and-dry, but I now realize it's not that easy!

I most likely will miss my deadline of rolling this out because of my naivety, but I am printing all the responses so I can learn and study as I go. I obviously set my sights on too early of a deadline.

Some comments reflect 2007 version features or limitations.

A little red flag now that I've read more about your system. Hate to suggest more reading, but now I'm thinking you're lacking a solid understanding of database normalization, which should come before anything else. If you set off on the wrong path wrt normalization, you can (very likely will) find yourself in a maze that makes reaching the goal fraught with difficulties. Usually these can be overcome, but you'll find yourself coming back here again and again to come up with work arounds and losing hair in the process.
    For example, if you expose the comments field for additions or edits, be prepared to lose all comment history related to a caller unless maybe you're savvy enough to prevent this - assuming it's even possible. Your comment about multi-value fields is concerning as well. Access has questionable features (such as multi-value table fields) that can make querying very difficult if not impossible. Suggest you avoid them entirely. Maybe you should do a search for "Access call database template" and see if there is an off the shelf solution you can work with. Some are likely free.

Picking a state or country from a combo box is a good method (eliminates incorrectly spelled versions) and can filter the records as you type without resorting to code. For a textbox, you have to code to do this. But to see the effect, you must provide a recordset for the user to look at, even if it's only a datasheet form with a header for the input controls. I say that because of your comment about subforms, which btw, is not something you'd open on its own with some button click. Subforms are forms that are 'nested' on a main form.
    If the attendant knows the caller is a first-timer, I might open your form as "new". If not, as "edit" and provide a means of filtering the records in conjunction with the controls in the form header. If not, your way will work too, but you will have to provide a means of opening the form to accept a new record as you say. Consider a switchboard type of form like the one I posted, that has buttons to either go directly to new, or edit, or search form(s).

The big thing is, as I said, normalization. Depending on your business, you might need tables for states, countries, provinces, callers, comments, users...(the last one if you want to keep track of who handled the call). Sorry if we/I burst your bubble. It's something I'm sure you can learn as you go, given enough time.

I will be the first to admit there's a lot I don't know and understand. I relied on a series of online tutorials that walked the viewer through the beginning and advanced levels, but obviously what I'm needing is far beyond fill-in-the-blank. I will table the project for now until I get a better understanding, and again, I appreciate all the suggested readings and comments. I'm sure it will make more sense later after I've had more time to study.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Would you care to post your dB so we have a better idea of where you are?

If Yes,
    Do a "Compact and Repair", then Zip it
    At the bottom of a quick reply click on the button "Go Advanced".
    Scroll down until you see "ATTACHMENTS" and a button that says "Manage Attachments". Follow the prompts.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree with Steve that showing readers the database to date may be helpful.

You are not the first to underestimate a project.

You should work through a couple of the tutorials at RogersAccessLibrary
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/T...nformation.zip
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/T...getsDesign.zip

the videos 1,2 and 4 by Dr Daniel Soper starting here
    are a good refresher.

Normalization

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.