lisandlaur is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

After migrating databases to a new server and relinking, access is terribly slow (minutes)

I have several Access databases used as front ends only. They have links to tables in other Access databases that serve as the backend only. When we recently moved to a new server, we relinked all the tables but now Access is just crawling and I can't figure out why. Has anyone had this experience?

It is very bizarre to me that it takes over a minute to open a switchboard form. Neither this form nor the form that is opening it has any code other than the open form command and neither form has any sort of database access. Yet when I created a brand new Access file and imported all the objects from the problem one to the new one, I forgot to copy the 10 queries that are in the database. Without those queries, the accdb switches from one form to another instantaneously.

But when I put those queries back in, the form takes over a minute to open again. What I really don't understand is why are the queries even involved at all at that point. Like I said those in no data access involved and the form is not the first one to open in the application so I don't think it's a startup thing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    usual reason for slow performance across the network is the network performance combined with inefficient queries/forms and/or poor indexing.

If your forms are not referencing the backend at all, I would expect them to open quickly. So a mystery to me why the addition of unreferenced queries would affect their opening. You don't have an autoexec macro which runs these queries and has onerror set to next?

And also to be clear, each user has their own copy of the front end located on their machine?

I do know that the queries/forms are not efficiently written and I am looking into that. But the user experience was okay until we moved everything to a virtual server. Now they are complaining.

Yes, the real mystery to me is why the addition of unreferenced queries to the database affect the opening of basic switchboard forms that have no data access.

Each user does not have their own copy of the front end, however, I see the same issues when I copy a front end to my own computer.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    each user should have their own copy on their machine - otherwise there is risk of corruption.

what is performance like if you just open the backend and open a table? If slow, this indicates a network issue.

I did find that 2 of the buttons on this form had embedded macros in them and those macros were opening up datasheets. I converted those to VBA code and the slow opening form problem was resolved. I guess Access must be evaluating the embedded macros before it opens the form. So one mystery solved.
    The other half of the mystery is why when there is data access, it is so much slower on the brand new powerful virtual server than it was on the crappy old server. We're working with Microsoft on that this afternoon.
    Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.