Mabel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Custom ribbon errors

Hi, I'm climbing the walls by now as I spent hours trying to get something to work which is, apparently, quite easy for others:-)
    In Access 2013 I have a newly created db. I made a custom ribbon, which I want to load at startup. I duely made the USysRibbons table; the name of the ribbon does show up under Options.CurrentDB, but the damned thing refuses to show up!
    Luckily, after some websearching, I found the setting to display eror messages and this is what I get:
    - Line 1, col. 31, error code 0xC00CEE65, undeclared prefix.
    Then:

- Line 1, col 71, error code 0x80004005, unknow namespace "http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customUI"
    etc. (several other errors may follow)
    Of course I modified the XML-text; I have a number of lines in USysRibbons now; most of them copied from the web. The above errors are generated by code I found on the Microsoft site (HideTheRibbon). Others use a different namespace (http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui) but the result is always more-or-less the same: starting with the 'undeclared prefix' (at least, I hope that's what is says in English; I'm using a Dutch version); then the error about the namespace and other errors related to that.
    I also tried using the xml-code that is 'exported' from a customised ribbon created in Access itself. After deleting the ribbon, re-loading it manually works fine. But as soon as I paste the text into the RibbonXML field of the USysRibbons table and try to load it on startup, I again get the same errors.
    I DO hope someone here can help me!

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Response deleted
    Last edited by davegri; 04-29-2016 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Not useful to OP

Mabel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    I think I solved my problem. Two things were bugging me:
    1. The errormessages Access produces in this case are either nonsense or not very helpful;
    2. On startup, Access seems to check ALL the entries in USysRibbons. If one of them contains errors, you get the errormessages. This occurrs even if you do not invoke any of the ribbons in the table in any way (neither in the 'Options' settings nor with VBA). Moreover, no indication is given as to what record in the USysRibbons table produces the errors.
    I found this out when starting afresh with an empty table and working from simple to complicated; taking care to get things working after each change. Indeed, one of the XML-texts in my old table turned out to contain illegal names/references, but there was no 'undeclared prefix' in 'line 1, col. 31' nor an 'unknown namespace' at "http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customUI" - those errormessages completely wrongfooted me.
    Sorry to have bothered you; I just hope someone else will profit from my mishaps:-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.