cnl5609 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

#Name? Error on each field after Form Wizard

Hello everybody,

I am having trouble figuring out how to solve this #Name? error that I am having after running Form Wizard and importing fields from the Oracle database I am working with. I have researched this problem online and most of the suggestions have said to rename the "Name" property to a name that is different from the "Control Source" property. However, I am still getting that error even after changing it and saving the form and then looking at it again in Form View. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about solving this? A screenshot of the problem is attached. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Name Error MS Access.png  

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Does the form have a record source, and if so are the fields in that source?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, it does and the fields are in the source.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hmm. For chuckles, can you try renaming the linked table to exclude the symbols, and see if that helps?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes. I retried the wizard actually without the symbols in that name and it didn't work then either. Still the same problem. I'm actually working on this issue between a friend of mine in the database class I'm taking and as well as on another forum as well. The person on the other forum has taken a look at my database and told me that there were no imported tables, just link names. Do I need to actually go back and run the wizard using the first option to import the data instead?

Also, it is funny because my classmate suggested the same thing you did just now. Same problem though.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    This error is usually because the name cannot be resolved. Calculated controls wherein the expression uses a field and control name that are the same cause this error because it creates a circular reference. Looks like your controls are bound, so that leaves the only other reason I can think of. The name can't be resolved because it spelled differently or it is ambiguous. I have a fuzzy memory about why I ALWAYS rename controls after using the form Wizard - it names the controls the same as the fields and I ran into trouble a long time ago because of this. I can't recall if there were calculations involved, or if simply having a control with the same name as its field was enough. If you can use the form's record source (query?) as a new query that works when you run it, I'd tend to rule out the name of the table as the issue. Maybe you could post a pic of the property sheet data tab for a selected control that displays the error message as well as the sql behind the form?
    Last edited by Micron; 04-26-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarified new query that runs
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello Micron.

I will follow your suggestions soon and get back to you with both of the things you requested. I can give you the SQL that is behind the form though currently. I just want to update everybody on this thread that with the link source option in the wizard, I am able to successfully input data with merely just a table. I've also tried a suggestion to just import the data to Access , instead of linking it. If I do not link it, I can use the form wizard for multiple tables. These are some things I've tried so far. Micron, part of what you want should be below. If it isn't what you want, please let me know and I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Code:
    SELECT [C##LAMBERT_JOB].[JOBNO], [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVNAME],
    > [C##LAMBERT_CLIENT].[CLIENTCOMPANY], [C##LAMBERT_CLIENT].[CLIENTREQUESTER],
    > [C##LAMBERT_JOB].[DATESCHEDULED], [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVLOCATION],
    > [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVRANGE], [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVSECTION],
    > [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVTOWNSHIP], [C##LAMBERT_JOB].[JOBRESTAKE],
    > [C##LAMBERT_CREW].[CREWNO], [C##LAMBERT_JOB].[JOBWORKDATE],
    > [C##LAMBERT_CREW].[NOTES] FROM ([C##LAMBERT_CLIENT] INNER JOIN
    > ((([C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT] INNER JOIN [C##LAMBERT_TASKS] ON
    > [C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[DEVNAME] =[C##LAMBERT_TASKS].[DEVNAME]) INNER

> JOIN [C##LAMBERT_EMPLOYEE] ON [C##LAMBERT_TASKS].[TASKNO]
    > =[C##LAMBERT_EMPLOYEE].[TASKNO]) INNER JOIN [C##LAMBERT_CREW] ON
    > [C##LAMBERT_EMPLOYEE].[EMPNO] =[C##LAMBERT_CREW].[EMPNO]) ON
    > [C##LAMBERT_CLIENT].[CLIENTNO] =[C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT].[CLIENTNO]) INNER
    > JOIN [C##LAMBERT_JOB] ON [C##LAMBERT_CLIENT].[CLIENTNO]
    > =[C##LAMBERT_JOB].[CLIENTNO];

Edit: Micron, do you mean the SQL of the Control Source? Or are you referring to something different?

I meant the sql behind the form and the property data sheet, I'm going out on a limb here: The sql doesn't look like Access SQL. I've never seen equal join statements like
    "INNER JOIN ((([C##LAMBERT_DEVELOPMENT] INNER JOIN [C##LAMBERT_TASKS] On" even if one table is joined by one field to 2 other tables. I'm used to seeing
    INNER JOIN table1 ON table2.Field1 = table1.Field1. You have what looks like nested inner joins without specifying what the first ones actually are. Still think you need to dump this in a new query and run it to see if it chokes, because I'm not confident in my thinking on this, or the sql I see either. Maybe I'll learn something about this structure if it turns out it's valid.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cnl5609 View Post
    The person on the other forum has taken a look at my database and told me that there were no imported tables, just link names. Do I need to actually go back and run the wizard using the first option to import the data instead?
    The problem is when you attach the db on a forum, the linked tables are unavailable, so the form fails anyway. If you could import the table(s) underlying the form so they are local, that would allow us to recreate the problem.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

We do realize this is being worked on somewhere else at the same time, yes?

Windows XP Access 2007
    OP mentioned that, yes.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.