Moltin is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Recurring Tasks and reports before reset of tasks - how to, if possible.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you be able to tell me if it is possible to create what I'm hoping to do in access.

In my situation i have tasks that need to be completed on a weekly and a monthly schedule and then the following week or month I have to complete those same tasks all over again. Is it possible to have access reset my tasks at the beginning of each week and month respectively but before doing so print out and save a report for that week or month the tasks that did and did not get complete?

The less hands on of changing each completed task back to incomplete at the end of the week would be great as i have a lot of tasks that are both weekly and monthly. I would like a printed report for record keeping along with a saved document of the report to hopefully use in showing over time (quarterly and yearly) what tasks get completed more often then other tasks so i will be able to make a better and more informed decision on how to tackle the problem of tasks not getting completed on time.

As i am still getting used to creating and designing within Access the forms, queries, etc.. I have figured this is going to be my biggest hurdle and the "make it or break it" problem i will face. Any information on how this could be accomplished would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information please let me know as i know this is a very broad example of what i need to accomplish.

Cheers,
    Moltin

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    With a relatively simple VBA procedure you should be able to do this. You could write a procedure that printed the report, then reset your tasks. Working with the dates might be a bit tricky since you have both weekly and monthly tasks to deal with and weekly and monthly reports.

One thing to consider - if by "reset tasks" you mean clear all the data in those records to default (initial) values, I would suggest you not take that approach, because by doing that you lose all your historical data (printed reports don't count). What you happen if you or management wanted to know how well weekly task "A" was performed over the last year? I doubt the database could do it if you reset the data each week.

Instead, what I would suggest is creating a new set of blank records each week / month; you could have the initial date automatically filled in.

Keeping the past data will also allow you to go back and re-create reports for specified periods of you needed to.

Just some suggestions to keep in mind - IMO deleting historical data is not usually a good plan.

Moltin is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    John,

Thanks for the quick response. I am creating the weekly and monthly tasks as separate tables, quires, and possibly reports so hopefully i can work around the dates as you suggested, something to keep in mind though that i did not think about, thank you.

And yes, i did want to clear all the data in those records to the initial value, but did not think about how that would remove "history", I'll work on creating a new set of records for each week and or month when the time comes to do so. you are right i do NOT want to delete my historical data, but i also do not want to create a very busy looking navigation panel. I'm used to Excel more than Access so my mind is thinking i would essentially be creating a new Tab for every single week. What I'm learning from access is this information or history of my records is going to be a lot easier to manage especially with the fact that i can hide tables while using forms and quieres to still access that information.

Since i will not be the only one using this document but am the only one creating or learning about access I really want to focus on making things user friendly, and clutter free while allowing me to still have access to all the information when needed.

I will be learning more about VBA shortly so I'm really excited you told me this is something that is possible and my time spent learning Access will not be in vain.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    i would essentially be creating a new Tab for every single week
    No need to do that. All you need is a date field indicating which week it is (e.g. WeekEnding date), and then you can retrieve/view all tasks for that week just by specifying the week ending date.

....creating a new set of records for each week and or month....
    My approach would be to keep the list of blank tasks in a separate small table, and then copy a set of them to the main tables each week or month. One or two easy SQL statements in VBA would do it. The advantage to that is that if you get new tasks you just add them to that small table.

I am creating the weekly and monthly tasks as separate tables, quires, and possibly reports
    That's OK. Just don't make separate objects for each week/month, that's not OK.

Since i will not be the only one using this document
    Once you have your database all ready to go and working on your own PC, you should look at implementing a split database for multi-user operation, where each user has his/her own copy of the front end (forms, reports, queries) on their own machine, with the back end (the data tables) residing in a common (network?) location.

Multiple users might add additional complexities such as who is doing which task, so you should consider that in your design, even though at first you will be the only user.

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.