GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

AfterUpdate not firing

I have a "Single Record" form with a text box bound to a phone number. When I enter a number and press "Enter", the number entered disappears from the box and it is not until the focus moves elsewhere that the "AfterUpdate" event fires. I am expecting the "AfterUpdate" to fire when I press the "Enter" key, as it does with my other "Continuous" forms.

Here's a composite screenshot of the form in design view:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	24445

And the "AfterUpdate" event code:
    Code:
    Private Sub tbPhone_AfterUpdate()
    If Not IsNull(Me.tbPhone) Then Me.tbPhone = FmtPhoneNos(Me.tbPhone)
    End Sub
    I've tried adding an "On Enter" event in which I tried to force updating the record via the Dirty property, but couldn't get the "AfterUpdate" to fire even with that action.

What am I missing?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you seem to have a problem with understanding the order of events and when they fire - these two link many help to clarify

http://sourcedaddy.com/ms-access/event-sequence.html

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ad=US&fromAR=1

Looks like you are trying to format a number that has been entered - why not just use the format property on the control?

In a bound text box on a continuous form, the "AfterUpdate" fires after entering a number and pressing the "Enter" key (vbKeyReturn=13). On a single record form, the "AfterUpdate" event DOES NOT fire UNTIL the text box looses the focus either by pressing the Tab key or otherwise clicking somewhere else on the form.

You asked: "why not just use the format property on the control?" "FmtPhoneNos" functionality includes automatic area code resolution and enforcement for the region in which the app is executing.

I'm now trying to understand why it is that after a number has been entered and the "KeyDown" event "keycode" is 13(vbKeyReturn) fires that "Not IsNull(tbPhone) = True"? (As observed in Debug) As mentioned in the original posting, after the "Enter" key is pressed the text box is cleared.

Code:
    Private Sub tbPhone_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
         If KeyCode = vbKeyReturn Then Call tbPhone_AfterUpdate
    End Sub

Private Sub tbCell_AfterUpdate()
         If Not IsNull(Me.tbPhone) Then Me.tbPhone = FmtPhoneNos(Me.tbPhone)
    End Sub

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I say it disappears because you either have the db enter key property set to 'new line' and the control enter key property set to default, OR for this control you have it set to new line. So you are doing a line feed/carriage return in the control on enter key press, which means focus has not left the control until you click or tab out of it. That is also why the control is not null on the key down event. Then again, I've been wrong too many times before...
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I need to explore your thoughts. Where is "db enter key property set to 'new line' " property set? I tested your thought and found that after the "number entered disappeared" that pressing the "up" scroll key that the number re-appeared.

Well, you're not wrong.................. this time The control itself had the "Enter Key Behavior" set to "New line in field". Is there another setting at the DB level as well?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Can't recall for sure with your version (2003) but in 2007, you click the Office Button at the top left and go to Access Options > Move After Enter. Pretty sure that's how you set the default for which all controls that can respond to the enter key this way, except for things like command buttons. For those which you don't want to follow that setting, you set the property to New Line in Field.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Got it! My DB default is "Move to next field". With having set the "Enter Key Behavior" to default in the offending control(s), the issue is resolved.

I think the biggest lesson here is to be careful in the future when copying controls within a form or from one form to another without expecting the properties thoroughly.

Thanks,
    Bill

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.