JonReedTDC is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Unhappy Query Crashing Access

Well hello again!

My IT guy and myself (neither an Access guru) are stumped with an simple action that ends up crashing Access.

Below is a screenshot of how I have the Query connected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH1.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	24376

A little background:
    - The tables are externally linked through and OBDC connection to an AS400/IBMi server
    - Each table is linked through the OrderNumber (except IESFILE_CUSTMAST which is through customer code and just brings in the customers full name)

At this point I can run the query without issue and it pulls in all the data I need. However I have tried to do a few simple things that end up crashing the Access (AKA it becomes non responsive)

1. When I put a criteria on the date field (second column) the Access will become non responsive and crash. I tried doing >1/1/16 and >#1/1/16# and both just crash Access.
    2. When I create a second query (which summarizes miles drive by OrderNumber) and link it to the Test 3 query then run the query it will crash Access.

Any ideas why my Access is crashing whenever I try to add criteria or link another query to it?

Thanks Everyone~!
    Jon

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Can you do a Pass-Through Query? Those are usually more efficient, as all the "heavy lifting" is usually done on the server side, and just the results are brought back.
    See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/303968

JonReedTDC is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Well, it looks like I have to create the query through SQL code... My skill set isn't advance enough in Access to build a query in that manner.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Well, it looks like I have to create the query through SQL code... My skill set isn't advance enough in Access to build a query in that manner.
    Actually, you don't!
    If you just switch your current query to SQL View, you will get the SQL code of query.
    There are sometimes some subtle differences between Access SQL and SQL, but we can help you sort those out, if you run into issues.

InsuranceGuy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JonReedTDC View Post
    Well hello again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH1.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	24376

1. When I put a criteria on the date field (second column) the Access will become non responsive and crash. I tried doing >1/1/16 and >#1/1/16# and both just crash Access.
    2. When I create a second query (which summarizes miles drive by OrderNumber) and link it to the Test 3 query then run the query it will crash Access.

A few things:
    Don't call the field [Date]. It's a reserved word and can cause problems.
    Next, don't use DateSerial. Every time any row is being returned, it's going through a VBA function before being displayed. That's likely causing your responsiveness issues.
    iSeries is much more forgiving at dealing with missing data than Access & the DateSerial function is.

Show the full definition of your Date: DateSerial(...) function here, and I'll see if I can help you.

Jeff

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.