spyldbrat is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Export has the Green Triangles?

Hi, When I export from Access, the green error triangle appears in one of my columns. The column is formatted in the source spreadsheet as "number" with two decimals. When I look at the design view properties of the table that the source spreadsheet is linked to, I can see the Data Type is showing "TEXT" instead of number. If I try to change it to number, I get an warning telling me that the table is a linked table that can't be modified.

If I try to set the format in Access, it does not give me any options from the drop down when I click the "FORMAT" in the property sheet of design view.

How can I fix this?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    in access are you using the format function to format a number to say 2dp? If so, then you have converted the value to text. To resolve, remove the format function and use the format properties in Excel

Windows XP Access 2007
    On this particular column, I do not have any formats applied in access.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    was just going by what you said
    If I try to set the format in Access
    so going by what you said here
    If I try to change it to number, I get an warning telling me that the table is a linked table that can't be modified.
    go into the back end and change the datatype there

Windows XP Access 2007
    I am sorry, maybe I didn't explain it well enough? My apologies.

When you say go into the back end, are you referring to the source data spreadsheet? If yes, then it is formatted properly. I need it to show "Number" with 2 decimals -- which is how it is formatted on the source spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is linked to a table in Access.

If I go to Design View on the table, this is when I get the warning message. The exact message says

"The table is a linked table whose design can't be modified. If you want to add or remove fields or change their properites or data types, you must do so in the source database".

I get this message as soon as I go to Design View on the table. I am assuming this is telling me that I can only change the format on the source spreadsheet that the table is linked to? I am able to open the table in Design View and am able to see the Data Type Field where I am getting the green triangle upon export shows "TEXT". When I change the Data Type field to "NUMBER" I get an error message that I cant save property changes for linked tables.

When I go into Design View on the Query that uses the table, I do not have any options under FORMAT in the property sheet (the drop down is blank).

CJ_London is offline VIP
    When you say go into the back end, are you referring to the source data spreadsheet?
    yes

When I look at the design view properties of the table that the source spreadsheet is linked to, I can see the Data Type is showing "TEXT" instead of number
    this is why you get the green triangles. Format properties are not passed on through export or linking etc. For some reason, excel thinks this field/column is text, not a number. As a test, in your source worksheet, create a new column and put a formula in there to multiply the problem column by 1 - you may need to relink but see if this new column comes through as a number

I do not have any options under FORMAT in the property sheet
    you enter your own e.g. 0.00 however format properties are not passed on in an export so won't do you any good.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.