600720544 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Unhappy Best method for design of database with multiple value in one field

I'm new to database design, I have an issue with a stock database. I'm at the design stage and was wondering what is the best way for the following example. I have a table of products, which has a style code then description, and colour. straight forward so far. I then wanted to add size. Here's the question, does every variation of the style need it own entry in the database I.e.

line 1 style abcde, Description Shirt, colour Blue
    line 2 style abcde, Description Shirt, colour black
    line 3 style abcde, Description Shirt, colour White

which would result in a huge amount of repeated data. Moving on I will need to add Size which will duplicate even more.

if you have 30 styles in 5 colours and 10 sizes that's 1500 lines. that's a lot in imputing for each style.

I have tried the "allow multiple values" in table design lookup but can't seem to follow that a white shirt may have 5 sizes but the blue only has 2.
    I am just looking for a bit of basic advice

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    no, youd have
    tSize table
    tStyle table
    tColor table

then the order would put them together
    user would pick from each of the lists to assemble a shirt.

tOrder
    OrderNum, Size,Style,Color,Other

(once picked, youd check to see if BLUE shirts have any size 14, in stock)

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    plus , to create inventory, you don't have to input the data by hand 1 at a time,
    making one query of all the tables: size,style,color, and NOT joining them, will multiply the values.
    youd get a shirt of every color, every size, every style.

thanks for the reply, but still having problems. I understand the 3 tables, but I am looking to use a products table which has a stock count. I have tried the query with no joining but this as you have said gives all options. I want to add New Product STYLE ABCDE in 3 colours, so I can check the stock i.e. STYLE ABCDE in Blue with 3 stock, then STYLE ABCDE in white with 10 stock, also STYLE ABCDE in black with no stock. I have created a form customer detail with subform for products when I select ABCDE i get one style with 3 colours, but i would expect the style repeated 3 times for the different colours.
    Any help appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    My suggestion is to start with a clear description of WHAT your "business" is about. Make it clear so it is easily understood by colleagues. Then start to add detail. Do not jump into Access too quickly expecting Access to do something magic for you. You must tell Access what to do. Work through this tutorial to get an understanding of design of database, tables and relationships. (30-45 minutes)/ Move from a description to a model of your tables and relationships. Concoct/build some test data to vet/verify/prove your model with some test scenarios.

You may get some ideas from this free video.

Good luck.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 600720544 View Post
    thanks for the reply, but still having problems. I understand the 3 tables, but I am looking to use a products table which has a stock count. I have tried the query with no joining but this as you have said gives all options. I want to add New Product STYLE ABCDE in 3 colours, so I can check the stock i.e. STYLE ABCDE in Blue with 3 stock, then STYLE ABCDE in white with 10 stock, also STYLE ABCDE in black with no stock. I have created a form customer detail with subform for products when I select ABCDE i get one style with 3 colours, but i would expect the style repeated 3 times for the different colours.
    Any help appreciated.
    Can you post a copy of your db
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

I think I have attached a small extract of what I'm trying to achieve, with notes of my issues. I think i'm using multiple values correctly but I'm open to offers for a better solution

testDB.accdb

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.