gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

export to a Server...instead of excel to dropbox!@

Hey people,
    So my "Master Program" compiles data that is input at over 100 clients i have.

Currently they input data, print it, post it/email it and then I input it into my system.

This is tedious and very archaic.

What i plan now is that i make a 'mini program" which is in Dev now, which THEY input data (like they do now, but into my program, not just word) and they can "submit it" to me.

This submission is read by my master program which in turn imports the data and presto.. im done.

Currently i have done it by dropbox.. mainly because it is so well used.
    Each client has a shared folder which is named after their client code (a 2 letter code. example: WB or HC)

This WB folder is shared from me to them, and the mini program exports an excel document to WB folder.

My master program scans the folder every time i click "check for submissions" and if it finds them, it notifies me and asks if i want to import that data.

On import tat file is moved to a history folder on my PC in case i need to access their raw data later.

If the file stays there, then they know this on their program, which scans the same fodler and notifies them if a submission is still waiting to be accepted.

Anyway, on my LOW level of programming skills, i have managed to get that all working via VBA in access but thats the best i could come up with.

Is there a better possible way that i can do this that perhaps is more professional and doesnt rely on dropbox?

Eg. is there a... server i should have ftp access to, which pretty much uploads to the ftp server and does all the same stuff, but i can program it in, so they just need an internet connection and dont have to rely on sharing dropbox files???

-Note; People have mentioned Web app to me on sql with users.
    I like the idea but currently dont have the experience with web apps, nor the time to learn + launch or the funds to pay $6-10/client/month for this access.
    I know that sounds like im not going full on with this, but that is a future step for me to take.

TIA for any advice anyone can give, or some feedback on my current situation.

This is about 3 months from rollout, im currently testing in one business only with the whole dropbox system and getting some feedback through that too.

Cheers ppl

gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Update:
    So i did some research and maybe an idea is uploading the data to a sharepoint server but maybe just as a dbf?? And that means just one user (me) and all upload to the same user file and i just use that as a more secure and easier alternative to drop box?

Or am i completely not understanding the use of the sharepoint server.

Note:
    All clients have access to different data and not other peoples... so i would need a separate customer list for each client so they dont get all 20,000 customer details from across my state!

Hence why they each are getting a separate backend

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.