Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Export to Text Fails

The first 3 lines of code work fine. The next 3, actually the last line, reports this error.

Run-time error 3127
    Cannot Update. Database or object is read only

The only difference in the two is the path and the filename. I know the path is correct in both cases. The filename on the 2nd file is peculiar, but required by the customer.

Code:

SSAFilePath = "\\Dmhmrsas01\FIMSData\SSA_Reporting\SSA_Data"
        SSAFilePathName = SSAFilePath & "\EVSPRSN" & Format(Me.RptBegDate, "yyyymmdd") & ".txt"

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "EVSPRSN_Export", "EVSPRSN", SSAFilePathName, False, ""

SSAFilePath = SSAFilePath & "\SSA_WebDataFormat"
        SSAFilePathName = SSAFilePath & "\PVA." & Format(Me.RptBegDate, "mmddyyyy") & ".PRS.R8452"

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "EVSPRSN_Export", "EVSPRSN", SSAFilePathName, False, ""

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Check the permissions on the target folder, or see if you can create a file there through your START>WINDOWS EXPLORER you can get that error message if you don't have write permission to the directory.
    Also check to see if you can export to the same file name, but to the directory that doesn't cause problems, just leave the SSAFilePath the same for both and see what happens

If you do have permission check for the existence of the file before you write to it and delete it if it's there.

Paul H is offline Expert

Exclamation

Interesting, it was the filename. I put a .txt at the end and the code ran normally except for this twist. It converted all the dots "." to hashes "#", e.g. PVA#02012016#PRS#R8452.txt instead of PVA.02012016.PRS.R8452.txt which may be why this step was never automated. Here's my solution which uses file naming functionality, something I hardly ever use, mostly because I don't know how, or didn't.

Code:

strSSAFilePath = "\\xxxxxxxxxx\FIMSData\SSA_Reporting\SSA_Data"    
        strSSAFilePathName = strSSAFilePath & "\EVSPRSN" & Format(Me.RptBegDate, "yyyymmdd") & ".txt"
        DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "EVSPRSN_Export", "EVSPRSN", strSSAFilePathName, False, ""

strSSAFilePath = strSSAFilePath & "\SSA_Format"
        strSSAFilePathName = strSSAFilePath & "\PVA." & Format(Me.RptBegDate, "mmddyyyy") & ".PRS.R8452.txt"
        DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "EVSPRSN_Export", "EVSPRSN", strSSAFilePathName, False, ""

strFileName = "\PVA#" & Format(Me.RptBegDate, "mmddyyyy") & "#PRS#R8452.txt"

Name strSSAFilePath & strFileName As Left(strSSAFilePathName, Len(strSSAFilePathName) - 4)

MsgBox "Your data has been exported to " & strSSAFilePathName & "."

Application.FollowHyperlink strSSAFilePath
    The surprising part is that it works! Hooray for me.

Paul H is offline Expert
    Oh, I should say thanks for nudging me in the right direction. It's always helpful to lay out the problem on paper so to speak.

Paul

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't see you renaming without the hashes after the export which you could do easily enough with filesystemobject commands if that's an issue for you.

Paul H is offline Expert
    The hashes are removed by Name(ing) the file to the original intended strSSAFilePathName, which did not include the hashes. Tested and works.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.