thnkgreen is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

iTunes Purchase History Access database

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I have been using Access since roughly 2003, but one of the things that to this day has always been hard for me is designing a database from scratch. No matter how thorough I try to be, I always end up overlooking a field or sometimes table, and there's nothing more frustrating than having to go back and try to modify an existing database. Now having said that, what I am trying to do is build a personal Access database to keep track of my purchase history in iTunes. For those unfamiliar, there is a way to sign into the iTunes application, go to Account, and then view your purchase history. However, this is an excruciatingly tedious exercise if you have a large purchase history, which I do. There is no way to export data from their system, and the only way to get any information is by taking screenshots or converting via OCR. I've been buying content from iTunes since 2004. Within the past year I have come to the conclusion that Apple is not accurately keeping track of their customers data. Albums that I know I have bought in the past have, for example, had the genre changed from R&B to Jazz, and then show up as an unpurchased item even though I did buy it. So I am trying to design my own database to manage my purchase history.

I've attached a couple of screenshots of the structure of their purchase history screens. From this information, I am trying to determine table names and entities as well as a schema of how this information should be housed in Access. I would greatly appreciate some help in figuring this out. Thank you all very much for your time in ready my post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example 1.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	24113
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Example 2.PNG  

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you got a copy of the file you want to parse?

3 tables immediately pop to mind
    1. Invoice table (invoice number, invoice date amount of invoice)
    2. Invoice purchases (Pk from invoice table, Item, Artist/Seller, item type
    3. Purchase details (PK from invoice purchases, artist/seller (if they can differ from the invoice purchase), type (song, tv episode, etc)

Some supporting tables also come to mind but this is the basic structure I'd go with.

If you want to get super nerdy you can create a table for artists/seller and give them a PK then only store the PK in the invoice purchases/purchase details table, same for the 'type'

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.