hikerdood is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Employee Training Database

I have been tasked to create an Employee Training Database. We are a manufacturing firm and have approximately 91 Job Descriptions. All personnel are required to complete the common courses, however in each field of work there are unique courses related to that job in addition to the common courses. My question is do I build 91 tables of courses that are applicable to each job description or build 2. 1 with the common courses and the other that lists all of the unique courses. I would relate the common and unique courses to the employee table to bring in just those courses that are applicable to the job description.

Here is my issue. I am not sure how to set up the employee table in addition to the common course and unique course tables such that it will pull in the total of common courses and unique courses for that individual in that job description. We need to track the employees compliance with completion dates and also an alert that will create an early warning report that indicates training is required to be completed by a certain date or employee will be out of compliance.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Gene

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You do not need 91 tables.

You would have a table ---tblJobDescriptions with 91 records.

But, your training set up at your business probably includes information about People, their qualifications, Job Positions, and the required training for each position.

The attached jpg may help in setting up your database.
    Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EmployeePositionTraining.jpg  

This is a huge help thanks so very much. Please excuse my ignorance but what does the (FK) stand for.

Regards

Gene

FK is foreign key
    PK is Primary Key
    see Keys

Before proceeding with Access development, you will do yourself considerable benefit by reviewing some database concepts.

Here is the starting video from Dr Daniel Soper on Database. There are 8 videos in the series. I recommend you watch 1,2 and 4 as a base for your development.
    Also, working through this tutorial would be helpful to you, after the videos.

Good luck.

Watched the videos and reviewed the tutorial. Thanks so much.

I will begin to set up all of the tables in the diagram, however I just have 2 questions.

#1 When an employee moves to a new position, I would make the change in the Table EmpOccupiesPosition JobPositionId(FK)..correct

#2 When an employee moves to a new position how can I insure that the training courses he/she has already taken will move with he/she. Another words we need to have their historical training follow them even though those training courses are not applicable
    to their new position.

Thank you

Gene

Glad you found the tutorials and video useful.

Good questions. The picture I sent was meant as a guide to help relate main facts in People, Positions and Training.

1. Yes. And you might adjust the table to include fields such as, EmployeeInPositionStartDate and EmployeeInPositionEndDate to keep a history of Employees in a Position.

2. The table EmployeeHasTraining is strictly about the Training an Employee has. So the info contained is independent of Position. In other words, it contains all of the Employee's training info.

Thank you so very much...extremely helpful and excited to create this database.

Regards

Gene

You are welcome. The Dr Soper videos are great.
    You may also find the series on Programming by Steve Bishop useful. It is applicable to Ac2010 as well as 2013.
    It starts here
    But you can see the list of videos and select more specifically as you want to investigate an issue.

Good Morning,

I have the Employee, EmpOccupiesPosition and JobPosition tables built. Primary key in Employee table is their Unique Badge #. Entered 214 Employees into table and also into EmpOccupiesPosition, created a query based on relationship between the 3 tables and it works great.

Million Dollar question if I may: When I build the Training Course Table, EmployeeHasTraining and PositionTrainingRequirement it looks like I will have to make over 2996 entries into EmployessHasTraining 214 Employees x's 14 courses.

In the PostionRequiredTable it looks like 1274 entries 14 courses x's 91 positions.

Is there an easier way to populate the EmployessHasTraining and PositionTrainingRequirment tables.

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards

Gene

Not necessarily, but maybe.

Consider:
    If there are a total of 14 Courses involved. Then you will need all of those Courses in the CourseTable.
    If there are 214 Employees, you will need all of those in the Employee Table.
    If there are 91 Positions ,you will need all of those in the Position Table.

But, not all Employees will necessarily have all the Courses,
    and not all Positions will necessarily require all Courses.
    So, it is limited to the reality of How many Courses does the particular Employee have; and How many Courses are required for the particular Position.

It's probably best handled by a Form/subform set up.
    A combo of Employees (on the Form), and a listbox of all Courses(on the subform).
    Select the specific Employee, then select all of the Courses that Employee "has". Using a Button click event and
    using the EmployeeId, process each of the Courses selected in the listbox, and add the EmployeeID and CourseID to the Employee has Training table. If there is other info (Dates, Success/Fail...) then you'd have to include that also.

Similar setup with PositionRequiresTraining. Start with Form/subform using Position and Course.

Good luck.

hiker8117 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got side tracked with another project. So if I understand you right I will do the following:

Create a form from the Employee table:
    Insert within this form a blank subform, add a list box and have it look up the values from the training course table.

From here I am not what you mean by build an event by selecting the employee and the courses he/she needs.

I have never build an event and not sure where to go from here.

Appreciate any Help

Thank you

Gene

hiker8117 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got side tracked with another project. So if I understand you right I will do the following:

Create a form from the Employee table:
    Insert within this form a blank subform, add a list box and have it look up the values from the training course table.

From here I am not sure what you mean by build an event by selecting the employee and the courses he/she needs.

I have never build an event and not sure where to go from here.

Appreciate any Help

Thank you

Gene

Hi Gene,

Just saw your post it has been a while. Trying to get my bearings at the moment.

You have a list of Employees and you know what courses each Employee has currently. Is that correct?
    Also, you have a list of Positions and you know which Courses are required to occupy that position. Right?

I mocked up some tables and a form to show an event procedure (attached). It isn't very elegant but hopefully it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by orange; 04-07-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Hello Moderator, I too just saw your response.

Yes to question #1.
    Sorta to Question #2. There are basic courses that all employees must take, however I am trying to find out what unique courses in addition to the basic courses that particular employee/position requires. Working on that. Thanks for your help and the table/forms

Regards

Gene

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.