x596201060405 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Dates w/o Data

Hello. I'm a total Access newbie, and I'm currently just forcing myself to learn all of this stuff. I'm having a peculiar problem.

I have a range of invoices, generated on dates, given different customers.
    Some dates have no information.

So when I tried to view a query in chart mode, everything looks great, except one thing. Right now, I have a chart that will depict the sum of invs per month on a chart, and it has a filter so that I can look at the same information for specific clients.

But, the problem begins here. If my customer has ordered routinely, than all dates will show. However, say one customer didn't order for a whole quarter, than the X axis skips the dates that aren't present in the data, once the filter is applied.

So, I went to make table graph with all dates as a starting point. I ran a query and combined the information in such a way that it was now show me all invoices and for dates where no invoices, one record is created with nulls in all spaces except the dates. Then, I have the query turn all null spaces into zero dollars (for the invoice).

So, it looks something like this now.

3/13 - $300.00
    3/14 - $900.00
    3/15 - $0.0
    3/16 - $200.00

So, it basically works when you take into account all of the invoices, including the blank ones. If I search all customers, and look at each individual day, it works in the sense that the weekends are now all zero. However, since the records with the missing datas have no customer data, then whenever I apply a filter for a customer, the data points for the dates with no date disapper, meaning all the sudden the reserved spots on my graphs for the weekend disappears again.

Is there anyway to take a blank field and make it register for any possible filter. For example, for the records with dates but no records, could I state that if the Customer Name field is blank, than to use any and all possible customer names? Thanks in advance.

Either that, or if I could somehow make the X axis.

If it could show March 1, 2014, to December 31, 2016, and all intervals of date regardless if data exists for it or not, and didn't move despite different ranges (exp, this customer hasn't ordered in three years, but he just ordered one last week. So sales show up three years ago, months of blank spaces on my graph, then a data point showing the new sale.

Thanks in advance by the way. This would actually be easier for me, but I realize it might not be possible, thus why I created the Calender Chart in the first place.

Just thinking out loud here, but it's somewhat apparent to me that if I want to have a singular X axis of time that has consistent intervals regardless if the InvAmt is $10.00 or NULL(Which I can turn into zeros with NZ if necessary), I'll need to complete a chart with all dates in the date range, and then for any day that is lacking any invoice information, complete a record complete with every possible filter outcome (Which we have like 400+ customers or something...) for each sort of filter I want to do. That way when I filter by customer on my chart, it will have data for every date for that particular customer, and producing a zero for the dates in which no InvAmt exists.

So unnecessary complicated. I don't understand why there isn't a non-moving time based x-axis with consistent intervals already built it, registering nulls and zeros...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.