Mario P. is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Template for simple client & product database

I'm new to Access and hope that some experts can point me to mostly or completely designed database that I can implement into my small, one man shop.

All I need is:
    1. routine client fields (really only a name. Other fields would be nice, but already have them in QuickBooks).
    2. product database.

I currently use Excel, and it works well (separate file for each of 10-15 clients), but would like to combine all into single database.
    I have a company requires that I keep track of their products and while I can do search within my client folder, a single database would be nicer.

The only issue I ran into with Excel, is that since I have single row for product, say a computer, multiple username/password tracking gets ugly. I can either duplicate all information (location, item description, IP address, serial number, etc.) just so I can create separate entries for username/password, or create separate columns for all products sold/installed, for the few items that have multiple username passwords. Alternatively, I could use a notes cell and cram all the user/pass information there.

Here is a CSV of my column header:
    Date Installed,Date Purchased,Vendor,MFG,Model #,Version,Location,Price,Warranty duration,Serial #,Item,IP Address,Mac Address,Username,Password,Date Verified,Notes,

Thank you for your time,

Mario

Ideally, I would like to have a process (form) where upon ordering stock item(s) I could type:
    - Order date
    - Order number
    - Vendor
    - Item(s) (separate entry for each item or quantity entry here?)
    - Description
    - Serial #
    - Warranty duration
    - (maybe location, van or storage shelf)

When I install the item at client's house:
    - Select (or create) client's name
    - Choose from available parts (don't care about inventory tracking, but need to know whom I sourced parts from and what remaining warranty/serial#, etc is).
    - Fill in the serial numbers (if I didn't do that when item was first received)
    - Fill in IP address, MAC ID, username, password (allow multiple entries if I have admin user/pass for me and ones for clients)

That's about it.
    Agian, list of items would be less then 100. List of clients would be less then 20-50.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    given the small record count and field count - one can probably suffice with just an excel sheet. otherwise at Microsoft's web site one can find templates of completely pre-made apps and there may be something that fits your requirements - - although of course more generic field names....

RAshA.pro777 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think to change excel work to access db , then we create some forms and reports to extrude the results, ifyou agree with that we should begin with data analysis then we should build your new db

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    given the small record count and field count - one can probably suffice with just an excel sheet. otherwise at Microsoft's web site one can find templates of completely pre-made apps and there may be something that fits your requirements - - although of course more generic field names....
    Excel can certainly handle the amount of information that I am asking it to do.
    The issue I have is how to deal with multiple username/passwords.
    Let's take a look at one of my devices from Excel:
    Date Installed Date Purchased Vendor MFG Model # Version Location Price Warranty duration Serial # Item IP Address Mac Address Username Password Date Verified Notes
    1-Oct-13 Intel Samsung GT-P5210GNYXAR RF2D60VL1FA Galaxy Tab3 Tablet 10.1" 192.168.0.072 08:FC:88:7E:512 test test

If I had to enter more then one user/password, here are my options as I understand it:
    1. Create separate row for each user/pass and either duplicate all the information in other columns, or pick one, like serial number.
    2. Create separate column for user1, pass1, user2, pass2, user.....
    3. Assign a column to handle all username/passwords and use CSV, brackets, etc. to separate each unique entry.

I am under impression that Access can handle this type of information easier, by use of relational tables.

Quote Originally Posted by RAshA.pro777 View Post
    I think to change excel work to access db , then we create some forms and reports to extrude the results, ifyou agree with that we should begin with data analysis then we should build your new db
    You would be willing to help me with this for free?
    That would be awesome, but I realize that time is valuable and I'm willing to do the legwork if someone can point me in the right direction.

Ok , that's good.... I will help you to change to access db , and do you have enough time to work?

If u need help email me on str.only19@icloud.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.