PrettyMess is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access - Macro Issues

Hi All

Would anyone know how to link a stand alone macro to automatically run against a table or query?
    I have tried most other methods and none of them really do what I am looking so this is a last ditch effort
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Paula

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    what is it you are really trying to do?

I am looking for an email with object attached to be sent each time the 'username table' is updated however the only way I can find of doing this is through creating a basic macro I have linked it to the 'username table' in the sense that it will now send an email but I cannot get it to work when the 'username table' is updated.
    The only way I could see round this would be to put it into the after insert function on the table itself but I cant seem to find a way to link this.
    So more or less I want to run a macro automatically when a table is updated
    however there is a bit of a catch with it as this table automatically updates so I don't want any user interaction in this table so to speak - best way to explain is: All Information table is linked to a user form (no submit button) - these changes update to all information table - they also replicate into an audit table - and then replicate into my username table
    If you need anymore detail please let me know

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    You are referring to data macros and if you want it to be automatic as you describe you would need to use these. You may need to have the same macro repeated for each type of event (insert/update etc)

I've not used them myself (and don't use ordinary macros either) but think you have to build it within that macro, I'm not sure if you can reference other macros from within a data macro.

I don't know but perhaps instead you can set an update flag which is regularly checked in the background (perhaps when an event is triggered in your navigation form) and have an ordinary macro send the emails and unset the update flag

Thank you.

I'm beginning to think I may just have to give up on the attachment I seem to have managed to get both working in different ways but always with one component missing.

I may give your update flag idea a go and see if I get any further that route.

Thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.