tim.cassey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Form Help with using multiple of the same thing

Hi there,

I am creating a database for users out in the field to use when they use parts on fixing products.

What I want to be able to do is having the following in a table:

- Serial Number (of part they are fixing)
    - Location (of part they are fixing)
    - Parts Used
    - Quantity Used
    - Part Status (Chargeable / Warranty)

Now for one serial number they may use up to 10 parts of different quantities and different statuses (some may be chargeable, some may be warranty claims). How would I go about being able to enter multiple parts, quantities, and part statuses for each record entry? Would I just have to have Part1, Part1 Qty, Part1 Status (up to 10)? Seems like there might be an easier way?

Any help is appreciated.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    sounds like you need to use a continuous or datasheet form

tim.cassey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I've watched a few videos on continuous forms but I'm just not too sure... so i thought I would explain a bit more and see if you've got any further advice...

So for each field:

- Serial Number of the part they are fixing: they may fix a part many times over it's lifetime, so this is not a one time entry (not unique). This is to entered manually
    - Location (of part they are fixing)... to be entered manually
    - Parts Used: was hoping to use a drop-down box with a set list, from a separate table, linked to the main one
    - Quantity Used: entered in manually for each part that has been used for the job
    - Part Status (Chargeable/Warranty): to be selected from a drop-down box for each part used on the job

From watching videos, I can't make the link in my head how a continuous form would help me to achieve this, can you help me further at all to make it click?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    from your post, I'm assuming there are other fields you have provided such as serial/part descriptions

I would expect to have 3 tables, one for serial data, a second for part data and a third to combine the two and add values like quantity

so user would have a main form where they can select a serial number for the item they are working on

on that form would be a subform (continuous) which would use the combining table. This would include a combobox for the user to select a part and controls to add quantities

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You need to get you data base designed to meet your requirements.
    If you work through this tutorial (30-45 minutes) you will learn the basic concepts of table and relationships. That is the major part of what is causing your issues currently.

The tutorial has problem definition, the process involved, solution and related info.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.