wolf1728 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

I'm faniliar with older versions of Access. I can't use Access 2007 at all.

I'm used to building a database by creating tables, using queries to filter & calculate then using reports for output. (I never had to create a form). (This worked great).
    Now it seems that with Access 2007, creating a database in this low-key, uncomplicated way is impossible.
    Any suggestions?

Not sure what your issue is. I have migrated from 2003 to 2007 to 2010 and now use 2013. In all cases, I have been able to create tables, queries, reports and filter as necessary. When needed, forms are added. The principles of Access have remained the same through each upgrade. Only the UI has changed slightly. Please expand upon your particular issues that are confounding you so that we here at the forum can help you.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    all you post remains the same; in 2007 was the introduction of the ribbon and so where things are found definitely changed from the old tool bar but that's about it

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Well, I'm used to filtering queries by entering the command directly into the query fields.
    For example to filter all company names beginning with the word "Allied", I would enter into the company name field "=Allied*" and then run the query.
    It seems I can't enter any commands into a query field.

I believe the criteria in your example should be Like Allied*

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    again; no features have been dropped. So you are having some memory or cockpit lapses.... "commands into a query field" - I don't know what that means so maybe this is part of the problem. A query criteria one does not use the = symbol. perhaps you mean a parameter prompt where the pop up requires a value entry before running the query? .... really not sure; but if you have an old 2003 db - you can import the table, import the query into 07 container and it is going to work ....

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Well, I finally made an uncomplicated, prototype database. 1 table 1 query 1 report and it works!!
    I'll admit I had forgotten a lot - especially the difference between "design view", "datasheet view", etc.
    So, my thanks to alan and NTC.
    I'll be okay now. LOL

warmslime is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    One of my biggest complaints about the ribbon in Access is that so many commands are available exclusively through context menus or keyboard shortcuts (and *not* from the ribbon). Doesn't seem to be the case in Excel (with few exceptions like pivot manipulation) and Word. Not that I used Access much back in the day (before 2007), but at least the default view of the ribbon is too empty IMO.

cyanidem is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Which commands are available exclusively on ribbon? I'm trying to find one and I struggle, everything from context menus is also on ribbon.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    I'm saying the opposite, many commands in the context menus aren't available in the ribbon. That's bad UI design... in my opinion at least...

cyanidem is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Yeah, that's what I was going to ask actually, don't know why I worded it this way
    So, which ones?

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidem View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was going to ask actually, don't know why I worded it this way
    So, which ones?
    Off the top of my head, you can't import OLE objects without right clicking, you have to use shift+f2 to bring up the zoom window and you can only delete a relationship by right clicking on the line or selecting it and pressing delete. It's little things but they kind of bug me considering there's so much empty space on the ribbon.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.