BSESSIONS is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Post Invalid procedure call in access report. (only when grouping, source is union query).

I have a union query that is the source of a report. When I group inside the report I always get a "invalid procedure call. I think it has something to do with the RIGHT and LEN that I am using in the second part of the union query. Any guidance would be appreciated. The union query is as follows:

Code:
    SELECT IMPACT.[LAST NAME], IMPACT.[FIRST NAME], IMPACT.[WORK DATE], IMPACT.[HOURS REG], IMPACT.[HOURS OT], IMPACT.DEPARTMENT, IMPACT.AGENCY
    FROM IMPACT
    UNION ALL
    SELECT Left([FULL NAME],InStr(1,[FULL NAME],",")-1) AS [LAST NAME], Right([FULL NAME],Len([FULL NAME])-InStr(1,[FULL NAME],",")-1) AS [FIRST NAME], RANDSTAD.[Date Worked], RANDSTAD.[Reg Hours], RANDSTAD.[OT Hours], RANDSTAD.Dept, Left([Agency],8) AS AGENT
    FROM RANDSTAD
    UNION ALL SELECT STAFFMARK.[LAST NAME], STAFFMARK.[FIRST NAME], STAFFMARK.[WORKED DATE], STAFFMARK.[HOURS REG], STAFFMARK.[HOURS OT], STAFFMARK.DEPARTMENT, STAFFMARK.AGENCY
    FROM STAFFMARK;

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    you probably have some nulls in your data so the query fails on something like Len([Full Name]) since you cannot return the length of a null. Same goes for left. Also, InStr(1,[FULL NAME],",") will return 0 if "," is not in the string and left will fail since it cannot return -1 characters.

to protect against nulls, use the nz function, to protect against there not being a "," in the string use the iif function to test there is a "," and assign a value accordingly.

BSESSIONS is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thank You Ajax
    These are good points for me to make some changes. Would these nulls, cause issue at the report level? The query will run, but when I use it as a record source to the report, it will run. It pulls the invalid procedure call only if I group in the report.

Thank You for the support

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Would these nulls, cause issue at the report level?
    I would expect them to cause an issue at the query level - if they are not, it may be something to do with your report grouping

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.