ktatrow is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Sort through table records on form

I am new to Access and am looking for some advice.

I have created a form that is connected to several different tables. When I input data into the form, it appropriately applies this data to the tables. If I close the form and reopen it, I am unable to scroll through the records that were previously entered. If I go to the tables, the data is still there.

How can I configure my form so that users will be able to view previously entered data on the form?

Thank you so much in advance.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    IF you have the form connected to the table, then you should see the data immediately in the form.
    so the form MAY be limiting/filtering records?
    or
    the form doesn't look directly at the table itself but rather a join of many tables?

Thank you for the response. How can I check my filtering settings?

To give more detail, I've created a form with a Tab Control. I then dragged existing table fields onto the Tab. When I enter data on the form, it transfers to the correct table, however the records are not accessible through the form after closing the form or the entire database (at the bottom of the screen it says Record 1 of 1 despite having several records). If I go to the table itself, all the records are shown.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    This is the part that raises a red flag
    connected to several different tables.
    Getting your tables and relationships designed to support your requirements is key, and , in my view, comes before creating a Form.

You may want to search through some youtube videos for tutorials on Access table, queries and forms.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktatrow View Post

When I enter data on the form, it transfers to the correct table, however the records are not accessible through the form after closing the form or the entire database (at the bottom of the screen it says Record 1 of 1)
    You've got the Data Entry Property set to Yes...which only allows the entering of New Records...not the viewing of Existing Records! Set this Property to No. Despite the name 'Data Entry,' it doesn't have to be set to Yes in order to enter data...that's controlled by the AllowAdditions Property!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

My Data Entry Property is set to "No" and I am still encountering the same issue. Everything is working great other than the fact that when I close and relaunch the database, the Form does not show any existing records. The existing records and all of their contents are saved appropriately to their corresponding tables.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What exactly is the recordsource of the Form?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    That being so, I suspect that the problem, as orange suggested, is that the relationships between your Tables is such that no Records will show...or that, as ranman256 suggested, there the Form is being filtered, to the same effect.

Can you copy and post the SQL Statement (Select Statement) that is in the Form's Record Source?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you all for your generous help. I think we are getting closer to the solution. I noticed the Record Source of the Form is extremely long, listing every single field from every table I am using. My Select Statement in the Form's Record Source is a series of Bracketed Table Fields; as stated above, from every single field from every single table.
    To give you some more information. This database's purpose is to track client information, from basic demographics to other more involved details; lets call these "Areas". I have created several Tables that address our different Areas. In order for data to be entered to the appropriate Areas, I decided to use a Tab Control on the Form, where each Tab corresponds to a Table. This is all contained on one Form.

The Tables and Forms look exactly how we'd like for our purposes, other than the fact we cannot view previously entered Records with the Form. This is important for us if we need to return to the specific Record to make additions or changes, without accessing the Tables.

Again thank you so much. I imagine my Access language isn't what you're used to but I'm trying to explain as best as possible. I welcome any advice or solutions. THANK YOU ALL!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.