Tlo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Report Grouped By One Field Adding Multiple Records To Each Field When One New Record Is Added

I've got a form to enter service records on vehicles, and then a query to calculate next service date to those vehicles. I then built a report off the query to show next service due, and the report is grouped by vehicle. When I add a service to "Truck A", the report adds a next service due for all the trucks, but the query only shows a record for the service I entered. If I build a report that isn't grouped by truck there are no multiple (false) entries on the report - it looks just like and has the same amount of records as the query. Any thoughts?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Maybe in this design phase, your report's record source is not the query you think it is, but is a previous query. By creating a new report, you'd be forced to assign the record source and perhaps you picked the correct one. I don't see how grouping could be the cause. Or you are opening the report with an open or load event that is messing up the recordset.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I rebuilt the report and it is working fine. I must have changed the query after the report was already built. Is it a general rule, or necessity, that once a report or form is built the underlying table or query can't be changed from a design/edit perspective? Say I built that report, but then added a calculated field to the query after the report was built. Would that cause problems?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    It will cause problems, at the very least from the perspective that the calculated field won't be part of the report. It doesn't matter if you build the report or form using a wizard; the fields you add to an underlying query after buidling the form or report have no representation on the form or report. All you have to do is go into the report design and add the appropriate control (usually a text box). You will even find that new query field on the property sheet field list in design view. Same holds true if the field in question was added to a table, and that table was the underlying table for your form/report. Similarly, if you remove a query field, the associated form/report control will throw an error message at the least, but Access will usually prompt you for the missing data since it cannot find the missing field.

The same principle applies to adding a field to a table. A query based on it does not automatically add the new field to the design grid, but you will find the new field in the table field list - even if you have not closed the query after adding the table field.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Great, thank you for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.