colotazzman is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Compact and repair on close

I inherited a multi-user database that is on a network drive. There are multiple front ends for people to use and they are all set up to compact and repair when they close out of the program. The problem I have been having lately is there have been a lot of DB1.MDB that show up along with the front door of the program. Should I turn off the compact and repair or should I leave it on. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is my 2 cents: On a multi-user database that is split into FE/BE when you run any compact and repair it only effects the front end, and leaves the tables un compacted. I believe you have to use VBA and have every body logged off if you want to compact the tables. A database cannot compact onto its self. This is why the tmp file is created. For this reason I would opt to turn off compact on close and I also turn off auto complete. Then make the front end a MDE copy it and distribute.

Richard

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by colotazzman View Post
    I inherited a multi-user database that is on a network drive. There are multiple front ends for people to use and they are all set up to compact and repair when they close out of the program. The problem I have been having lately is there have been a lot of DB1.MDB that show up along with the front door of the program. Should I turn off the compact and repair or should I leave it on. Any advice would be appreciated.
    The method I use is to have a pre-compacted copy of the Frontend located on the network. I then set up each user's computer to "update" their Frontend to the version on the network every time they log on.

This not only solves the Frontend corruption issue, but it also allows me to easily roll out updates. All I have to do is replace the network copy with an updated version and the next time a user logs in, they download the update.

Be sure to regularly Compact and Repair (and backup!) the Backend as well however, since Access_Blaster is correct that running it on the Frontend doesn't repair the tables or data on the Backend.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.