pharrison74 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Merging Cells

Hello all. Creating a report and for some reason I am unable to merge some cells. The data in the next column is creating a large space in the first column and the last. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	23555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_2.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	23554

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Suggest you post a copy of your database to highlight the issue(s). First remove anything confidential and remove most of the data, change names to Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, General Purpose etc to anonymize the data if necessary.
    Make a zip and post.
    It would also be helpful to readers if you could identify the steps to reproduce the issue(s).

Good luck.

I have a test db for you however how do I attach that file? No option for that?

pete

testing_DB11.zip

Here is the db for testing purposes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Peter,
    Is this your first database? One table databases are rarely "the whole picture".
    Do you have a description of what business your database is suppose to support? Can you tell us more of the task before you?

I recommend that you work through this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. It will lead you through a process to get your database designed with appropriate tables and relationships.
    It does have a solution and comes with some good support materials (Hernandez method).
    It should take 45 min to 1 hour, but you'll learn the concepts. You have to work through it to get the benefit.

With Access it is best if you do not have names with embedded spaces or special characters. Use only alphabetic and underscore (_) for names and it will save you from syntax errors and frustration.

Yes this is my first access db. Currently we have 5 reports with similar data in each of them.. I have created a form for the entry and then need to create each report off of that data for each group.
    formatting issues have defiantly been a pain. However I am struggling with coding as well which I have posted in another forum.
    I have 5 reports pretty much created now but pulling certain data only is holding me back as well as the obvious. Will work through and see if it helps. Not sure I have the timeline to
    redo this whole thing
    I am guessing by creating another table with only certain fields in it that I need for each report might be what you are saying. So 5 tables 1 for each report? Then link the form to those tables?
    I am want them to have to use one form for entry.

Thanks
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Peter,
    Is this your first database? One table databases are rarely "the whole picture".
    Do you have a description of what business your database is suppose to support? Can you tell us more of the task before you?

I recommend that you work through this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. It will lead you through a process to get your database designed with appropriate tables and relationships.
    It does have a solution and comes with some good support materials (Hernandez method).
    It should take 45 min to 1 hour, but you'll learn the concepts. You have to work through it to get the benefit.

With Access it is best if you do not have names with embedded spaces or special characters. Use only alphabetic and underscore (_) for names and it will save you from syntax errors and frustration.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.