clancy76 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Dynamically update an append query

Hi all - I am working with an append query that appends records to a forecasting table. The forecasting table has columns like "CurrentMonth +1" (which would represent March 2016 now that we are in Feb 2016, but next month it would represent April 2016 - essentially the data for the NEXT month gets placed in that column, whatever the current month is).

Here is my problem - I can create an append query this month that would populate the "CurrentMonth +1" field with March's data - but when March comes around, I'll have to recreate the query to make sure April's data gets inserted into that column. Is there any way I can dynamically update the query, so it always next month's data that gets inserted into the "CurrentMonth +1" field? I'm assuming that it would involve the "Now" function, I'm just not sure of the best way to use it in this particular scenario.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    one way would be to design your tables properly - Access is not Excel and tables are 'tall and thin' rather than excels 'short and wide' worksheets.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Adding to what Ajax said:

Your table design is common for people who use spreadsheets a lot. In fact, this is so common it is called "committing spreadsheet". (this was me.... )

"Committing spreasheet" is creating column names that are actually data points. A lot of times, people who are used to working with spreadsheets just assume databases should be configured the same way, but to take advantage of the relational aspects of a database, you have to turn that on its head. Another good example is budgeting. Many people create spreadsheets that have expenditure categories down the left column of a spreadsheet, and have months listed across the top, and they enter either estimated or actual expenses in the cells of the matrix. In a relational database, you would generally set this up as 3 columns (ExpenseType, ExpenseDate, and Amount). Then you can use queries to present the data in a wide variety of formats (including a crosstab query, which looks like a spreadsheet).

So instead of Feb 2016, Mar 2016 and Apr 2016 as field names, you would have
    a field named (maybe) "forecastDate", and have records
    Feb 2016
    Mar 2016
    Apr 2016

Another reason why a spreadsheet type design is bad, when you add a new field (ie currentmonth+1), you have to redesign your forms, queries, reports and possible code.

Here is a start on normalization: http://rogersaccessblog.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

clancy76 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thanks so much guys - I am indeed familiar with normalization(I don't think the database even meets first normal form standards), unfortunately its a really old legacy database that has myriad existing queries dependent on the current(terrible) table design. Will try to figure something out, may just end up using a make table query to create a temp table that actually makes some kind of sense. Thanks again for you help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.