GodBlessNY is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Printing on pre-printed forms

Hello there, I have Access 2010. I would like to print fields on a pre-printed form. Years ago, I used to program using higher level languages such as COBOL and dBASEIV to create and print reports on pre-printed paper. How do I do this on Access 2010? Is there a special programming language that I can use for this? I would also need to tell Access to print on a new page when a certain number of lines are printed. Thanks!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Is there a special programming language that I can use for this?
    no - just use a report and place the controls where required. then print a test page and adjust as required

One tip is to scan the form to a .jpg then use the .jpg as a form image (see form properties - format tab). You can then easily see where the controls need to go - Once done, remove the background image. However sound like this is for an invoice or similar so may not be appropriate in this case

I would also need to tell Access to print on a new page when a certain number of lines are printed.
    easily doable - google 'Designing Access Reports' or similar. Also look at some of the access templates for how reports like the one you require are designed

Hello Ajax,
    Thank you for the quick response. I know that Access has a Visual Basic capability to it. I'm trying to print variables onto certain parts of a pre printed report. In the middle of the pre-printed form, there are 5 lines for codes that are associated with a client. If there are more than 5 codes, I must print another form with the same data on the top and continue to print the rest of the codes in the appropriate area of the pre-printed form. After all the codes are tallied, then I have to print a total at the bottom of the report. This is not possible to do with Access or the Visual Basic language of Access, right? And if not, what language do you suggest I use?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    This is not possible to do with Access or the Visual Basic language of Access, right?
    of course it is possible

DavidMcA18 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yes i agree, and i have done this in the past. It may take a a few attempts to get the positioning correct at the start.

What Access 2010 command (VBA) opens a file (database query) and allows me to read a record at a time and access the fields within the record?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure what you mean by 'record at a time'. You open a table or query and you will see all records which you can step through.

However in VBA something like

currentdb.openrecordset

will open the recordset of your choice which you can then go to the first record and step through. However this is all in memory, if you want to physically see the record on the screen you will need to assign it or the required fields to a control on a form or report, or use something like 'debug.print' to display in VBA's immediate window.

Not sure of its relevance but assuming this relates to your initial question, it sounds like you are trying to apply old style programming techniques to modern platforms

Thanks, Ajax. This really helps. I was able to write a subroutine to display the fields on the immediate window. I used the Debug.Print commands. How do I get this to output on a text file for later printing? In other words, I would like to create a text file of what I see in the immediate window.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    investigate using the transfertext method to export a query or table to a text file

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.