Deprecate is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation How to fix Failure creating file Access 2010?

Hello,

I have an external source linked to my database (access 2010). The source is an Excel file stored on a SharePoint site within my network, I have full admin rights on that SharePoint as well.

So when I create a linked table it's all fine and everything works, but when I restart my computer and try to open the external source in my database it gives the error 'Failure creating file'.

I have tried changing to UNC instead of URL, but both encounter the same problem. What I don't understand is that my database imports it perfectly the first time and I can close/reopen Access and it will work but every time I restart my compute I get an error.

Anyone know a fix?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    well as simplistic as is this advice - first be sure you have set up the SharePoint location (where the excel is found) to be a trusted location via your Access database; but beyond that I'm not sure....

Deprecate is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Okay so this worked....but temporarily..

1) I've added the External source
    2) Assigned the trusted location
    3) Restarted computer
    4) Gives the same error
    5) I go to trusted location option again and just click browse then ok
    6) It works

So obviously it works kind of but now I HAVE to modify the trusted location (without actually modifying anything), click OK and do this every time I restart my computer.
    Access 2010 is annoying..but it is our workplace standard.

Is there any other fix? Obviously it has something to do with restrictions.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Well it is some sort of set up issue still. I myself have never seen the error 'Failure creating file'; so you should get the exact error info and google/bing it to see Q/A specifically around that error. It isn't clear to me if this is a SharePoint, Access or system error.

In terms of sanity check; one assumes if that table is in an Access file type (.accdb) and is placed elsewhere on your LAN (not in sharepoint) that it link-able ok....if not then there is another issue out there.

A 2nd sanity check is that within Access now, as part of the split feature, one has the option to split it to sharepoint. So you might consider an experiment in a test db where that table is local inside the db - and then perform the split function and direct it to the sharepoint location. I am kind of grasping at straws and now that I type this I think they go onto SharePoint as "Lists" rather than tables. But it might be worth a try.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.