Nooberd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Send Email by referencing email field in selected records on continuous form

Hi everyone. I think this one should be easy, but I haven't been able to find a specific example by searching online.

I have a continuous form which filters records from a couple txt and combo boxes. One of the fields contains email addresses. What I want is to create a button which allows me to open an Outlook email and paste all of the SELECTED records' emails into the To: field.

For example: Let's say I run a muffin business. The form allows me to filter my muffin sales to view # sold per customer by Muffin-Type and #Days since today (two txt boxes and a cmd button to apply the filter). The last field displayed is the email for each customer. I decide to filter down to Blueberry Muffins in the last 30 days, and get a list of 20 different customers. The top 3 customers have purchased 20, 15, and 14, so I want to select those lines and email all 3.

The records show CustomerID, CustomerName, #Sold, State, and Email

I want to be able to select the top 1, 2, 3, etc customers (using the normal records selection option), then click an "Email Customers" cmd button to open a new Outlook email, which automatically pastes their emails into the To: field, and have a Subject and Body already filled (maybe a message telling those customers that blueberry muffins are on sale).

I hope there is a way to do this using the Record Selection on the left side, because I think it's easier for an end-user. But I would consider creating a Selected field as well. Any suggestions? I want to avoid VBA as much as possible, simply because I'm still learning the program, but I can apply it where needed. Remember: the only relevant field here is the Email field in the continuous form, where I want to copy several emails from the filtered query and paste them into a new Outlook email. (Access 2010)

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Records cannot be selected nonsequentially with the record selector. Yes, code can loop through sequentially selected records. A Selected field might be easier approach. Regardless, will need VBA to build the email address string.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Nooberd is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Records cannot be selected nonsequentially with the record selector. Yes, code can loop through sequentially selected records. A Selected field might be easier approach. Regardless, will need VBA to build the email address string.
    I figured as much. Thanks for looking. I think I vaguely understand what needs to happen here, but certainly welcome some advice on how to build the VBA from anyone who's feeling generous! I figure I will create a table with each email and Yes/No, then relate the two in the form. From there I think the macro should loop through to find "true" values (a 'for loop'?), take the email for each true value, and populate the to: string. I've worked with excel macros to open and fill outlook emails before, so I think I can figure that part out. It's just getting the emails to populate into the To: field that will be tough. Finally, I figure I need to reset the table's Yes/No field to all be No.

If anyone has spare time, please feel free to show an example! I have never built a VBA macro from scratch, usually stealing someone else's example and modifying it as needed, but I understand a novice level of the structure. Thanks for looking. It's a good learning opportunity.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.