Excel unable to access databse after I have changed some linked text file tables

I currently run a spreadsheet which relies on access to produce queries from an external text file. The external text file hads recently been updated with two additional columns. Refreshing the linked table did not include the new columns. So I have deleted the table and recreated it.

This seemed to work, and the queries (To the best of my knowledge) run correctly in access. However my original spreasheet that connects to those queries returns a failed to access database.

Would this be expected?
    Is their a way to add additional columns to my text file data and have that reflected in access, without recreating the table?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Would this be expected?
    Yes

Is their a way to add additional columns to my text file data and have that reflected in access, without recreating the table?
    When I read you explanation of what happened and what you have done so far, it seems you have already taken care of the issue with Access reading the revised text file. In other words, it seems the issue is no longer with Access reading the text file AND Excel connecting to Access. The issue seems to ONLY be with Excel connecting to Access.

So, depending on how Excel is connecting to Access, you need to make changes. I might guess Excel is using an SQL statement that is not longer valid. Or, Excel is using a named range (or something similar with a Range). Whatever Excel is using to understand Access needs to be adjusted. It could be only SQL or it could be SQL and a Range.

That is my best guess.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.