tgall is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How can I import ColumnHistory into a new Access shell?

My group is using Microsoft's Call Details template. The template corrupted, so we downloaded a fresh template and imported the database objects. Voilą! No more anomalies. However, the Comments history (data type = Memo; Append Only = Yes) did not immigrate. How can I import the ColumnHistory?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have never used ColumnHistory before so I had to look it up. It seems this data would be stored in the System tables and if it is, it will be in your old broken database file.

How are your retrieving the ColumnHistory? Are you using VBA code?

Hi, "ItsMe"
    Not sure what you mean by "retrieving ColumnHistory", so I'll answer a couple of ways:
    -- If you're referring to a working database, I "see" the history in a History field on a form.
    The History field's control source is a lovely {said with tongue in cheek) piece of function code: =ColumnHistory([RecordSource],"Comments","[ID]=" & Nz([ID],0)).
    I cannot enter data into the History field. Nor can I modify data in the History field.
    The "mother" field is Comments, which is a memo field in a table.
    The scenario is: I enter commentA in the Comments field on the form; commentA appears in both the Comments field and the History field. I close the record.
    When I open the record again and enter commentB in the Comments field, it wipes out commentA in the Comments field, but commentA still appears in the History field.
    I can only retrieve the last comment entered via the Comments field in the table. I cannot retrieve the previous comments.
    -- If you're referring to how I'm trying to import the data, I'm using the good ol' Import and Link functions in the External Data tab.

If I could find the table where the history comments were stored, I could import it.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tgall View Post

If I could find the table where the history comments were stored, I could import it.
    Yes, it may be available in the system tables. The system tables are used by Access to keep track of stuff. They are not meant to be opened and or edited. Therfore, they are hidden objects.

Because of this ...
    =ColumnHistory([RecordSource],"Comments","[ID]=" & Nz([ID],0)).

I believe there is a good chance you can find what you are looking for in the old DB's system tables. Once retrieved, you should be able to update your new DB. However, I would not attempt to update the new DB's system tables. Instead, I would devise a way to update the original Comments field that is memo type.

The first step of retrieving the ColumnHistory would be to make a copy of the broken old DB file. Then, create a new blank DB. You will want to display the system tables in your new blank DB. Right click the top of the Navigation Pane and select 'Navigation Options'. Within the Navigation Options dialog box, tick 'Show Hidden Objects' and tick 'Show System Objects'. Click OK to close the dialog box and save your changes.

I do not recall if you need to restart Access or not in order to see the hidden stuff.

With all of that, you should be able to use the Import Wizard to import all of the system tables from the copy you made of the broken DB. You might try and isolate which table contains the data you desire. One approach might be to create a second blank DB and create a dummy table. In the table, add a memo field and set the appropriate options. Then type a few memorable phrases. Go to the system tables and open them, looking for the memorable text.

I think this paints a big enough picture how I would approach this. Post your additional questions here.

"ItsMe", it WORKED! Just finished opening the corrupted database's hidden and system objects, called a new Access shell, imported all objects, opened the new database, and the history appeared. Thank you! Now, how do I label this thread as solved?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tgall View Post
    ...Now, how do I label this thread as solved?
    Top of the thread there is a little pulldown, 'Thread Tools'.

Glad everything worked out OK and thanks for posting the solution. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    By chance I answered a very similar question today at another forum. You may find it useful.
    See https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...6&postcount=13

Hope it helps
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.