SepieSmith is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Setting access runtime default find/replace behavior

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to access programing so I would appreciate answers written for "dummies".

I have 10 machines working on the same access dB file connected via an internal network. For some reason, the default setting for find /replace on the runtime machines won't stay the same as on the full version.

I need to set the default settings for "general search" - how do I do this?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by SepieSmith; 10-24-2015 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Missing word

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is this a split db design? Multi-user db should be split.

Not sure what you mean by 'default setting for find/replace'. Not something I've ever encountered. What exactly are you doing? What is 'full version'? What is 'general search'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thank you June7! appreciate your time!

After reading my post - maybe I wasn't clear enough - so I'll re-write it:

First of all - this is not a split dB - I'll contact you again about that if you'll indulge me :-)

Basically - I have 10 machines working on the same access file (comps are connected via intranet). I have one machine with MS Access 2013 full version licence and 9 others working on Access rumtime , so that they can perform data entry and other tasks with specific forms.

Now, this may sound a little stupid - but every time they need to search for specific record they use CTRL-F and MANUALLY change the search option from "look in:Current field" to "Look in:Current document" and from "match:whole field" to "match:Any part of field".

I simply want the default settings of those search options to be "current document" and "any part of field". I can do it on the machine running the full version of Access (by changing the settings on the "options" menu) but the setting won't apply to the Access Runtime users.

I figured there must be a way to achieve this... I guess it's some code on an OnLoad event, but I 'cause I'm a real Newbie I simply don't know what the code is...

I hope I defined the problem better now...

Thank you in advance!

June7 is online now VIP
    I have no experience with Runtime. We have full Access on every machine. Sorry, no idea why Runtime won't present those defaults. Just might be the way it is. AFAIK, cannot programmatically address the Find/Replace dialog. I don't let my users use the Find/Replace dialog.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    So what is your solution for letting them search specific records? search form?

June7 is online now VIP
    I build custom search into form. Here is one http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

I built a variation of this that allows them to select any field from a combobox list then code modifies another combobox to provide choices based on first combobox. I offer 2 sets of these dependent comboboxes as well as textboxes for date range. Then code constructs criteria string based on selections. Code gets rather complicated. I have even built a search form that accommodates using OR along with AND. That really gets complicated.

Another option is intrinsic Filter by Form - which I've never used.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hey,

Thanks for sharing this UNBELIEVABLE search form. I'm afraid that's way above my skill level and I won't be able to implement it. I did however find a pretty clean, yet not very sophisticated, solution:
    I just added the following code on the "On Load" event of my form:

Application.SetOption "default find/replace behavior", 1

Now, every time someone opens up their runtime access db, the default option for CTRL-F is set to "LookIn=current document" and "Match=any part of field".
    That did the job for me :-)

Cheers for sharing your knowledge though! :-)

June7 is online now VIP
    So there is a programmatic method for influencing the Find dialog. Glad you discovered it. Thank you for the update - learned something new.

runtime is free so pretty much all functionality is disabled by default. You as the developer can add the functionality yourself. You can add the ribbon.. the right click options.. anything that's available in the full version. But that does require a lot of code.

A search form isn't beyond your skill level. I'm a novice myself and a search form might take you 1-2 hours to implement,

Perhaps follow a youtube tutorial. you may find it easier.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.