caseywschmid is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Familiar with Excel & New to Access. Want to write a database and looking for guidance.

Greetings,

I work at a nuclear power plant and we have a qualification program that is in need of an overhaul. I am familiar with Excel and created a set of workbooks that sort of does what I need it to do but it isn't sufficient.

Here's what I'm looking for: The trainees have 7 qualification cards that are required to be completed over the course of about 18 months to be allowed to operate the different areas of the plant. As of right now, these are printed on paper, handed out and signed by qualified operators. I want a way to digitally track these.

1. I want to be able to have trainees access the database, view their 7 qualification cards (which, ideally, would look identical to the ones that are created on Microsoft Word, printed out, and physically signed by the qualified operators)

2. I want them to be able to enter the names and dates of the people who have signed specific signatures (each qual card has 250-500 signatures).

3. I'd like a "data" page where the trainee could look and see how far along they are on each card (percentage, counter for the number of signatures attained on a particular day).

4. The database would also need to track the number of signatures attained for each of the 7 cards (there are administrative limits on the number of signatures that can be attained in one day on any particular card).

5. Our boss' boss is the one who maintains a list of the "qualified" individuals. I'd like for the database to not allow a name to be entered as a signature unless they appear on the Master List.

6. I'd like for all the "data" pages for each trainee to be able to be viewed together on a single page so that the individuals in charge of the trainees can keep track of their qualification progress (right now, an email is sent out once a month asking all the trainees how many signatures they have on each card - these numbers are compared to the previous month to determine if they are on the curve and what their progress looks like as compared to the current month.

7. I'd like the 7 qual cards to have a "Master" Version that the training department has access to. If changes are made to these master templates then those changes are automatically issued to all the trainees on their digital qual cards.

I have an Excel Workbook that does most of this but its not as feature rich as I'd like and the final product doesn't look as professional as I'd like. It also (the way I have it set up) is prone to errors and, if implemented, I'm gonna have to babysit it the whole time. I asked on an Excel Forum for explanations on how to achieve what I'm looking for and the overwhelming response was to use Access.

Please Help! I have no idea what I'm doing with Access!

If you need a longer explanation or some clarifying information I'll be happy to provide it. I'm also not afraid to learn something new and I am willing to do what it takes to make this work - I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Casey

alansidman is offline VIP
    For starters, I would urge you to read the first link below then look at the second link for a tutorial on Access. Then post back with specific questions on issues you encounter

http://sbuweb.tcu.edu/bjones/20263/A...sDB_Design.pdf

http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

caseywschmid is offline Novice
    Thanks alansidman! These resources are going to give me a huge head start! I haven't been able to find anything really worth while. I appreciate it! I'll definitely get back to you guys on specific issues I have.

Casey

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Here is another good tutorial site.
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...s_forum46.html

There are also lots of examples by Roger:
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...-f45b585c.html

Rogers's forum home is here
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forums.html
    with lots of other developers providing examples.

And welcome to the forum......

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.