gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Build PC for access/sql

Hey everyone,

I'm building a program (access front end) either MySQL or access back end.

the business will be working with 5 main tables, up to 300,000 records in largest, smallest down to 100 records,

looking to build their "server" pc which will have 3 clients logging in.
    it will also be running a networked printer.

i would have thought getting a 64x i7, 16GB ram, ssd and raid would be an idea, but some people have said that's complete overkill, I should just get i3 with 8GB ram and a single ssd plus a daily backup hdd or even cloud backup?

any ideas/recommendations? I would love some input!
    ive built a number of clients in my day, basic i3 or p4, and many many gaming pcs and multimedia but no idea what will be good without overkill for this!!

regards,
    gangel

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The way I understand it, the server will not be doing anything spectacular when it comes to Access. It is merely a file server. The server is not acting as an application server. Also, most everyone uses 32 bit office, so a multicore I5 or I7 will not be utilized. Even if everyone was using 64 bit Office, I doubt a multicore processor on the server would be advantageous.

Desktop boards have their limitations. If you want to build something robust, use a server board that has multiple CPU's and ECC RAM. However, for a few users and a server with limited server roles, you should be fine with a desktop board. I have not been shopping for I3's lately so I am not familiar with what is available. I would shop for the fastest RAM bus possible on an I3 and then try to match a board to take advantage of that. If you are only considering Access, I believe you will only be able to use one channel. So use the largest size per dim/channel as possible.

Since the server is just sitting there and no one is using it as a workstation, I would put the most basic graphics card in a PCI express slot. If you get a processor with onboard graphics, disable it in the bios.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.