bradp1979 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Password securing a back-end database while retaining front-end user functionality

My company has a MS Access database hosted on a shared server. Each of the users uses a front-end application which is linked to the data in the back-end. I am trying to secure the back-end data with a password so that no one can access it except through their front-end applicaton.

I did the following steps: I opened the database exclusive, clicked database tools, clicked "set database password," typed in and verified the database password.

Next, I closed and re-opened the database. So far so good: it asked me for my password.

Then, I attempted to access the data via the front-end application. The UI opened just fine, but when I tried to go into any of the input forms, I got an error message of "invalid password."

However, I wasn't given the option to enter a password.

How do I overcome this?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    in the front end, you need to delete all the linked tables and create new linked tables - at which point you will be prompted for the password. Be aware that anyone who knows a little about access will quickly find it in the front end msysObjects table

Luckily, there are only 5 of us in the office, and none of them now anything about access. Unfortunately, neither do I. I'm learning everything on the fly here. How do I create the new linked tables? For that matter, how do I delete them?

I'm doing all of this testing on a BE/FE combo on a flash drive, so I won't destroy anything, but if you would give me the steps to do that, I'd appreciate it.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    in the front end, go to the navigation window - you'll see all the tables listed - just right click and delete

to connect to the password protected db, click on the exgernal data tab then select access and follow the prompts - make sure you select 'link to the data source'

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.